Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jaywalking

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: A Winter Beneath the Stars by Jo Thomas
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sun January 29th, 2012, 1:51 pm

[quote=""SGM""]Rights relating to walking the countryside can be confusing (well, I never got the hang of it). In England, we have footpaths which cut across what would otherwise be private land but are quite legal for us to use -- although are arguments about that that in certain places but said footpaths are usually clearly marked on maps. The situation under Scottish law is not quite the same and I think (but as I said I was never entirely sure) that it is more similar to the Scandinavian "All man's right" and hence footpaths are less clearly marked.

But if taking a country stroll you could probably make sure you feel comfortable with the rights of access.

And before someone starts quoting Scottish law to me (which I do understand), when I say I never entirely got the hang of it I mean that I have a culturally ingrained English habit of sticking to footpaths that are marked on a map.[/quote]

There's still a bit of a row about the so-called "right to roam" law, I think it's still a bit of a grey area but as a walker, when we go out we generally try to stick to the footpaths, otherwise I think common sense largely prevails - we don't go traipsing through people's gardens although occasionally a footpath has gone across someone's front garden, so we skirt around the edge of it and go across as quietly and quickly as possible. When we go across farmland, we stick to the edges of the field or try to find the path through a field of crops - I think most fields have a recognised pathway through them ie a noticeably flattened path which is clear of crops; otherwise we go in single file and try to avoid treading on anything that looks vaguely crop-like! We haven't got shot yet......
Currently reading: A Winter Beneath the Stars by Jo Thomas

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun January 29th, 2012, 4:27 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]There's still a bit of a row about the so-called "right to roam" law[/quote]

As mentioned previously, Scottish law differs from the law of English & Wales on this issue. The assumptions are entirely different.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Return to “Chat”