Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Words We Don't Use

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu February 2nd, 2012, 11:01 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]We still have syllabub but it sounds a bit more appetising now! A traditional English dessert made with sherry or white wine, whipped cream and sugar and sometimes infused with lemon.[/quote]

We had syllabub a lot when we were younger (though without the alcohol, I guess). Think my mum still makes it for guests sometimes.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu February 2nd, 2012, 11:03 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]This is more of a phrase we may not use anymore, but does anyone use "our (insert name here)." I'm reading Daughters of Witching Hill and everytime they say a name, the characters always say "our Bess" or "our Jamie." Why?[/quote]

My Mum still refers to her children when talking to others as "my [Justin]" and so on. It's like the extra syllable is part of our names, but we just leave it out when talking amongst ourselves.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri February 3rd, 2012, 8:00 am

In some parts of England our + personal name is an affectionate way of referring to someone, particularly a family member - pretty common in the north and parts of the Midlands.

e.g "our Dorothy, she lives at Watergate, not far away"
Last edited by annis on Fri February 3rd, 2012, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri February 3rd, 2012, 10:09 am

Yes I always thought it was a more "northern" tradition to say "our Jane" etc.
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri February 3rd, 2012, 5:05 pm

It seems to be a way of claiming someone as part of your clan :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sun February 5th, 2012, 5:21 pm

And yet, even Hyacinth Bucket gets the "our" treatment. Ahh the power of family bonds!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Mon February 6th, 2012, 2:31 pm

twistin'-in - A term applied by the Luddites [in] 1812 in Lancashire to the swearing-in of a new member of their secret society. ~ Francis Taylor's Folk-Speech of South Lancashire, 1901

chirology - The art of conversing with the hands and fingers. ~ Joseph Worcester's Dictionary of the English Language, 1881

odds fish - A corruption of "God's flesh," or body of Christ. A favorite expression of Charles II. ~ Trench Johnson's Phrases and Names: Their Origins and Meanings, 1906

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon February 6th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Odds fish is also a favorite expression of Sir Charles Blakeney. :D

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue February 7th, 2012, 2:00 pm

criticaster - A petty or inferior critic; used in contempt. ~ Sir James Murray's New English Dictionary, 1893

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 8th, 2012, 4:07 pm

I like that one.

Return to “Chat”