Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Face of Eleonore of Aquitaine

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

The Face of Eleonore of Aquitaine

Post by Rowan » Thu January 12th, 2012, 4:13 am

I just saw this on Facebook via Medievalists.net. It's a short video on YouTube. Just look it up (thhe tile of the post is the title of the video) and see the amazing work this artist has done! She truly was beautiful!! There's one for her husband and for Richard II. Hopefully more will be forthcoming.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu January 12th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Beautiful and bit creepy. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVOFwLfchWA
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu January 12th, 2012, 5:10 pm

There's also one they've done on Richard I. I'm at work, can't go hunting down things on FB and YouTube :o
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu January 12th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Interesting. But it is a technology that is limited because it is based on the images from their tombs; images which may or may not be accurate. The Eleanor one doesn't really make her look at that beautiful, and I was puzzled by the repeated changes in facial proportions, sometimes her mouth was higher and sometimes lower, sometimes her face was shorter and sometimes longer.

I'll comment on some of the others after I've watched them.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu January 12th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Henry II. Nice blue eyes they gave him but not exactly the god-like looker he was made out to be. Red hair. And doesn't look like Peter O' Toole at all. :D

Richard I. Ok, they moved his ears. Why would they do that? Interesting progression. The lighting on his was much darker ultimately. Made him look rather on the blond side. Is there any historical evidence to suggest that his hair color would have been on the golden side? I've never really thought of him as blond.

Marie Antoinette. They didn't change the nose proportionally to the other age-regression they did. Should have made her smile. Even so by this rendering she was lovely.

Cleopatra. Interesting. They didn't mess with her face or proportions too much. I'm more inclined to consider this one accurate than most of the others. My mistake. At the end they did change her nose. Still they didn't do a total rhinoplasty, so I give them points for that. Oh wait, there's a second one with a frontal view from an existing bust. If that one is accurate she had lovely eyes but looked like a man in drag.

Alexander the Great. Not enough age regression. Blond hair doesn't look right and I can't tell but I think they've given him one blue and one green. The lighting and expression combine to make him look really unhappy.

Julius Caesar. Not bad. Would have liked them to take another decade or so off.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri January 13th, 2012, 1:04 am

I thought it rather fascinating. I wonder if they will photoshop Mary Queen of Scots, Robert the Bruce and William Wallace, I'd like to see it.

Bec :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat January 14th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Interesting fluff IMO. A nice time waster. :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Tue January 17th, 2012, 5:24 am

Those were pretty cool.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue January 31st, 2012, 2:25 am

Marie got quite the cosmetic surgery job, and they all got airbrushed and rather idealized - but still a neat diversion! Thank you for the link. :)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Return to “Chat”