Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

October 2008: The Devil's Brood by Sharon Kay Penman

A monthly discussion on varying themes guided by our members. (Book of the Month discussions through December 2011 can be found in this section too.)
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri October 10th, 2008, 10:04 am

[quote=""1lila1""]I also agree that it can stand alone. Although having read the first two books I found the first 50-60 pages a bit tedious and I wondered if I was going to enjoy the book :eek: ! But once we got past the set up for the story it got much better and I'm enjoying it now. SKP is so good at describing the back and forth between Henry and Eleanor and showing the reader exactly how these two people who were once so in love and had the world at their feet ended up hating each other as they did.[/quote]

In reality I am beginning to wonder if they were so in love. I think it's a nice idea to run with, and as a version of fiction I think very few will ever do it better than SKP, but I am not at all sure it's the truth.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri October 10th, 2008, 10:12 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Ash is right, its an interesting perspective to see William from the other side of the coin. I noticed Penman's take on William's father is a bit different than what I came away with after reading EC's A Place Beyond Courage.[/quote]

That's because she absolutely does not know John Marshal the way I do. :) Even without the Akashic records, if you look under the surface and enquire more deeply of the sources there are so many clues that point you straight at the kind of man he was.
Les proz e les vassals

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 10th, 2008, 1:39 pm

[quote=""EC2""]In reality I am beginning to wonder if they were so in love. I think it's a nice idea to run with, and as a version of fiction I think very few will ever do it better than SKP, but I am not at all sure it's the truth.[/quote]

True love or not they do smoke off the pages -- sparks fly whenever they're in a room together. On page 160 now and things are definitely picking up.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 10th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Dejavu from Time of Singing! Roger Bigod's in the story :)

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri October 10th, 2008, 4:12 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Dejavu from Time of Singing! Roger Bigod's in the story :) [/quote]

I think this is one of the reasons I'm not going to read the book at the moment. I had intended to, but have decided I need some distance first. I very strongly know my own versions of the people concerned and deluded or not I believe I've met them across the centuries as well as in Roger's case having done in depth traditional research on him. So I think I'm going to find it very hard to read someone else's take on such aspects at the moment. Once I move away from that same field and I've acquired aforementioned distance, (late next year when I'll be dealing with another century) I'll probably be much more comfortable.
Sometime it would be nice just to be a reader :( I'm really glad everyone's enjoying it though!
Les proz e les vassals

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 10th, 2008, 5:23 pm

EC, probably a very wise move. I know I read Harold The King within a month or two of Anand's Gildenford and found quite a lot of been there done that happening. I intend to read the rest of Anand's trilogy, but I'm pacing it so that won't happen again.

Wow, what a confrontation between Henry and Eleanor after her capture.

Question about this illegitimate son of Henry's by the name of Geoff. Is he fictional or did he exist?
Last edited by Misfit on Fri October 10th, 2008, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added a question

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri October 10th, 2008, 5:41 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]EC,
Question about this illegitimate son of Henry's by the name of Geoff. Is he fictional or did he exist?[/quote]

Would that be Geoffrey who went on to become the rather stroppy Archbishop of York when he grew up? Yes, there was an illegitimate one called Geoffrey.
Last edited by EC2 on Fri October 10th, 2008, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forgot to add a word
Les proz e les vassals

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri October 10th, 2008, 6:05 pm

I enjoyed Devil's Brood much better than Time and Chance. I felt that in the previous novel, the author was trying a bit too hard to "sell" Eleanor as a Strong Woman, and what was probably intended to be strength often struck me as arrogance. Here, Eleanor was strong, but she also had a welcome dash of humility, which made her much more palatable to me.

I was also pleased to see more emphasis on the historical figures and less on Ranulf and Rhiannon--I found them to be somewhat intrusive in Time and Chance.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 10th, 2008, 6:59 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Would that be Geoffrey who went on to become the rather stroppy Archbishop of York when he grew up? Yes, there was an illegitimate one called Geoffrey.[/quote]

Not sure, right now I get the impression he's on the youngish side and he's out fighting battles for Henry. The list of characters in the front just name him as Geoff, Henry's illegitimate son.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 10th, 2008, 7:02 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I enjoyed Devil's Brood much better than Time and Chance. I felt that in the previous novel, the author was trying a bit too hard to "sell" Eleanor as a Strong Woman, and what was probably intended to be strength often struck me as arrogance. Here, Eleanor was strong, but she also had a welcome dash of humility, which made her much more palatable to me.

I was also pleased to see more emphasis on the historical figures and less on Ranulf and Rhiannon--I found them to be somewhat intrusive in Time and Chance.[/quote]

I agree, and Eleanor is getting quite a humbling right now. I still can't quite get her rationale for spurring her sons on to this rebellion against her husband. Hal is just flat out too irresponsible to rule anything.

Return to “Feature of the Month”