Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Planning trip to London--advice please

Been to someplace of historical interest? Planning a trip? Have a question? Post here!
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Thu January 5th, 2012, 9:49 am

Haven't been to Edinburgh apart from passing through on the train.....York is lovely, I would say it's almost on an equal footing with Bath - and you can get to Edinburgh from York quite easily by train.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Thu January 5th, 2012, 2:52 pm

The train sounds good, Madeleine. I think I'm developing a plan here. Is there any issue with going to Edinburgh and York at the beginning of August?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu January 5th, 2012, 4:20 pm

I was on a two-week tour of England/Scotland in 2001 when the Foot-and-Mouth disease crisis hit; they cancelled the Lake District and Stonehenge (didn't want us out walking on the dirt, spreading possibly-contaminated soil) so we got extra time in Salisbury, Bath, and Edinburgh. I didn't regret it in the least--could have spent the whole two weeks in any of those towns, if it weren't for all the other things I would have missed.

Still can't believe that the only place they let us out on dirt and near livestock was to see Hadrian's ruins at Haddon-on-the-Wall -- and when all was over, guess where they tracked the beginning of the epidemic? Haddon-on-the-Wall!

Burned my shoes when I came back, BEFORE I went out to feed my stock.

The dh and I are going in September, he to attend the biannual X-org conference (computer geekery for which Oracle foots the bill) and me to the HNS conference. I'm going to see the Mary Rose Museum http://www.maryrose.org/news/index.html in Portsmouth, where Henry VIII's overloaded flagship sank in full view of everyone. Then we're taking the ferry over to Morlaix, France, where another x-org geek was born and raised; the town features in a wip of mine and he's giving us the insider's tour.
http://www.maryrose.org/news/index.html
Last edited by MLE (Emily Cotton) on Thu January 5th, 2012, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu January 5th, 2012, 6:55 pm

I adore the Lake Districk and Northumberland.

Portsmouth is also the resting place of Nelson's flagship the victory (and the place I grew up) but the G'ment has eventually decided to cough up the money for her renovation so not sure if she will still be on view.

I was there for the raising of the Mary Rose.

Charles II got married to Catherine of Braganza at the Garrison Church I believe although I can't remember if he was actually at the ceremony. But it is (or was) simply an old church without a roof, if I remember correctly.

You can read Defoe and Cobbett on the view from the Hill down to the sea.

Portsmouth is also not far from Winchester, once a sort of capital of England -- or at least it was where Henry I headed to take charge of the national treasure when W.Rufus died. It's also not that far from Hastings.

But I have a suspicion that some of the Olympic water events are happening down South so might still encounter Olympic-related problems.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri January 6th, 2012, 9:50 am

I know Weymouth is a big Olympic centre, I think the sailing is happening there and it's not too far from Portsmouth so that area might be a problem.

Re Edinburgh - the Festival takes place in August so it will be very busy.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Sat January 7th, 2012, 2:43 am

Yeah. I heard about the festival. Now we're thinking July 7. Even with the earlier date, there are so many festivals and pre olympic events that we might just do five days or so in Edinburgh with a two day trip up through the Highlands. I'll just have to do London, etc. at a later date. There is just too much going on there this summer. We detest crowds.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat January 7th, 2012, 6:57 am

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]Yeah. I heard about the festival. Now we're thinking July 7. Even with the earlier date, there are so many festivals and pre olympic events that we might just do five days or so in Edinburgh with a two day trip up through the Highlands. I'll just have to do London, etc. at a later date. There is just too much going on there this summer. We detest crowds.[/quote]

I think your Scottish plans sound wonderful and I don't think you will be disappointed. I wish I were doing it too. I love the Highlands and I wish I had family there but unfortunately mine are all in the Lowlands.

I always think London is the place to do in autumn or winter with spring and summer a time to do more open-spaced stuff. I am not fond of London in the summer.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Mon January 9th, 2012, 12:14 am

I think it's settled then. We're going to Edinburgh and the Highlands in July between festivals so we can take it easy.

Perhaps I'll take the whole family -- kids 4 and 6 -- to London next Spring? I bet they would love it! Although my son (6) is truly obsessed with China...a bit of a plane ride there.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon January 9th, 2012, 9:39 am

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]The train sounds good, Madeleine. I think I'm developing a plan here. Is there any issue with going to Edinburgh and York at the beginning of August?[/quote]

No, not that I can think of. One good thing about York is that you're never far from anything, it's quite compact. It's a lovely city even if I do say so myself. :)

http://www.visityork.org/
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Travel”