Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? January 2012

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon January 9th, 2012, 2:09 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]I'm just about to start Before I Go to Sleep by S J Watson.[/quote]

I figured out the ending in the first few chapters, but it was still worth the read :D Let me know how you find it?

Bec :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon January 9th, 2012, 2:24 pm

[quote=""Amanda""]I have been reading I Serve for almost a year! I was reading on my iphone as my "out and about read" and i got a kindle for xmas so nearly finished it now. So much better reading it on the kindle than the phone! I have The First Princess of Wales on the shelf downstairs.....[/quote]

Funny you should say that as I started it on my husband's iphone New Years Eve (I'm not much into getting wasted and the party we were at focused on it!). Much easier reading on the Kindle!

[quote=""MLE""]I have I Serve on my kindle as well. Can't say I have read much, because I keep forgetting it is there. Let me know if it is memorable![/quote]

MLE-It is an easy read and reflects much of what you read in The First Princess of Wales. I don't think it is going to be a 'stand out' read, but it won't be wall banged either!
Brenna

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Mon January 9th, 2012, 4:19 pm

[quote=""scubachick420""] Now on to "The Last Witch Finder" by James Morrow. Very odd but intriguing beginning.[/quote]

James Morrow is one of my favorite satirists. He's not a straight HF writer, but I loved TLWF. I have an extensive interview with him on my website which focused on his Godhead Trilogy (pre-TLWF.) Enjoy!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon January 9th, 2012, 11:04 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I want to read a book about Titanic in April to honour the 100th anniversary, maybe I'll check this one out, but it's not out til March 6.

SM[/quote]

You'll he spoilt.for choice SM, with the 100th anniversary coming up there's lots being written about the Titanic. I'm enjoying this one as it's taken a different angle, looking at some survivors following the disaster. Far and away the best Titanic book for me though is Walter Lord's 'A night to remember' :)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue January 10th, 2012, 3:00 am

Of course now I have more to worry about then what book to read about it, sigh!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue January 10th, 2012, 5:21 pm

The Moghul by Thomas Hoover. Shogun in India--starting with a ship battle. Great beginning!

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue January 10th, 2012, 6:19 pm

MLE, I downloaded that one too when I saw it on the bargain list. Will be interested to find out how it goes with you.

I just finished a fantasy book, The Daemon Prism, which is the finale of a trilogy by Carol Berg. I love her books, and this was all that I expected from it. Not sure what I want to read next. My daughter's birthday is coming up, so I've got a lot of odds and ends to do and can't get drawn into a drop-everything-and-read situation.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed January 11th, 2012, 1:37 am

Reading the Secret Holocaust Diaries which is still free on Kindle at the moment.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Wed January 11th, 2012, 3:44 am

The Four Queens

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed January 11th, 2012, 3:57 am

[quote=""Elysium""]The Winter Palace by Eva Stachniak[/quote]

Meant to be outstanding - is it?
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Return to “General Discussion”