Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Shopping Today (2012 Edition)

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Tidelands" by Philippa Gregory
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon October 29th, 2012, 11:35 am

Ordered three of Anne Perry's Christmas novellas.

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Tue October 30th, 2012, 5:37 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Ordered three of Anne Perry's Christmas novellas.[/quote]
Madeleine, may I get the titles that you picked? I didn't realize that she wrote Christmas novellas and she has so many! Be perfect for me to read at Christmas...both of my grand daughters will be here and I won't be able to get into a large tome!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue October 30th, 2012, 7:59 pm

I think they're A Christmas Guest/Beginning/Secret, and I've also ordered the latest one, A Christmas Homecoming, from Amazon, which is set in Whitby. If you go to a website called fantasticfiction.com they will list them all on there, I think there are about 10 altogether.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Thu November 1st, 2012, 7:19 pm

Her Deadly Mischief by Beverle Graves Myers
The Anatomist's Wife by Anna Lee Huber
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon November 5th, 2012, 1:44 pm

When hubby and I decided to go to Arizona, he asked where I wanted to go. I said there is one place I've heard a lot about and have always wanted to visit. When I said "The Poison Pen" bookstore, I got this blankstare followed by "We are flying to Arizone to go to a bookstore?" I politely responded that we are going to AZ to visit his grandparents but since we were flying back out of Phoenix, I would like to go to the bookstore. We did and I have to say it's one of my favorite bookstores ever!!! Signed copies everywhere and my very own special section of historical fiction!

Of course, I broke my own rule and bought a signed copy of Kate Morton's The Secret Keeper in hardcover (I have the others in paperback) and then stocked up on signed copies for friends and family. Amazing place that I highly recommend!
Brenna

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon November 12th, 2012, 11:08 am

I've just been on a reading group weekend away in Richmond, North Yorkshire. I came home with the following acquired books:

Onwards and Upwards by Arabella Weir
The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn
Amenable Woman by Mavis Cheek
In the Kingdom of Men by Kim Barnes
White Truffles in Winter by N M Kelby
The Cleaner of Chartres by Salley Vickers
The Cat Who Dropped a Bombshell by Lilian Jackson Braun
A Well Kept Secret by Jill Roe
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri November 16th, 2012, 8:18 pm

3 cosy crimes, set in Cornwall, by Janie Bolitho.

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Sat November 17th, 2012, 9:47 am

I had managed not to buy any books since last Sunday. Then "someone" reminded me that I loved Flavia de Luce and although the first mystery was so-so she is a great character and I laughed so hard at the end of the book when she explains her "bibliography"... And the experiment with her sister... omg :D
So I bought:
The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Fri November 23rd, 2012, 8:26 pm

I'm really enjoying the Flavia de Luce book now, took me a little while to get into it but it's bowling along now, a bit like Flavia on poor old Gladys. It's a fun read.

I've just ordered the last 2 books in Charlaine Harris's Aurora Teagarden series:

Last Scene Alvie
Poppy Done to Death

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri November 23rd, 2012, 8:59 pm

Posted by Berengaria
I didn't realize that [Anne Perry] wrote Christmas novellas and she has so many!
Yes, she's been churning these out quite regularly for some time now, inspired partly, I think, by Dickens' tradition of writing special Christmas-themed pieces.

I reviewed Christmas Promise a few years ago - might give you an idea of Perry's Christmas novella style - a good old mix of Victorian grittiness well flavoured with Victorian sentimentality.
Last edited by annis on Fri November 23rd, 2012, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”