Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What qualifies as historical fantasy?

Psychoblue
Scribbler

What qualifies as historical fantasy?

Post by Psychoblue » Sat December 31st, 2011, 3:23 pm

As I've been drafting my story to become an e-book (also waiting on a cover to be drawn), I've been wondering how exactly I should classify my story as it fuses several different genres together. Here is the synopsis that I wrote for National Novel Writing Month:

Shun Miyamoto is the prodigal son of one of the Emperor's staunchest supporters on modernizing Japan as the Bakumatsu Era draws a close. As both a scholar and a warrior, the young man believes that the key to Japan's success is through cooperation with the Western world: a notion that made him a target for assassination. But instead of killing Shun, the assassin fell in love with him, abandoning her duty as a killer to become the honorary daughter-in-law of the Miyamoto house. But in order for the two of them to be wed, Shun must subjugate her former clan: the fearsome "Black Sun" whose ranks can only be described as superhuman. Not only that, but Shun must also contend with the infamous Oliver "Loverman" Lacey, a vicious gunslinging outlaw from America, who shares a common history with the young Miyamoto: both of them have the same kiss-shaped scar branded on their body...

There are plenty of fantasy elements abound, with the protagonist facing people who draw from both fantasy and science fiction, but there's also a heavy romance plot throughout involving the relationship between Shun and the female protagonist. Between all of this and some of the heavier action scenes (which become a focus thorughout the story), would my story still be historical fantasy or something else entirely?

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Sun January 1st, 2012, 5:38 am

I write historical fantasy and that sounds like what you've got there. You get two choices if you upload to Amazon so 'historical romance' could be another option.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”