Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Do we need a new calendar?

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Do we need a new calendar?

Post by Ludmilla » Fri December 30th, 2011, 7:46 pm

Attached article at JHU regarding a proposal for a new permanent calendar.

Hmm...

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri December 30th, 2011, 10:43 pm

I'm against this for a number of reasons.

1) it would take the fun out of the calendar. Variety is a good thing.

2) it would move people's birthdays and anniversaries

3) it would neccessitate massive recalculation of past events. Would December 7th still be Pearl Harbor day in the US or would the resulting changes in the previous months make it December 2nd, or maybe November 28th, or December 12th?

Bottom line, too much hassle for too little benefit.

Did you see what they want to do to compensate for no leap year? They want to add an extra week to December every five or six years. How does that make anymore sense than the system we currently use? And doesn't that mean it isn't, in fact, a perpetually stable calender if it changes every five or six years?

Then there's the arrogant idea that the whole world is going change to this calendar (because really, if the rest of the world still uses the old calendar then what's the point?). The last major calendar change was done by a pope--a man who had international significance and power at the time. Name one person on earth, and more particularly one at Johns Hopkins, with that kind of influence. Come on. Whatever these guys are smoking, I hope my tax dollars aren't paying for it.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat December 31st, 2011, 2:21 am

The person proposing this should first read the most excellent Calendar: Humanity's epic struggle to determin a true and accuate year, by David Ewing Duncan. Dont let the dry and long title fool you - the book is a short consise history of calendars, looking through the millenia and around the world. Once this person reads it, I think he'll think twice before proposing something else. Either that or he will find that indeed there is nothing new under the sun, and humanity has tried that before.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat December 31st, 2011, 2:37 am

Who needs a new calendar?

As one who still has to design in the antiquated system of fractional inches and feet instead of the infinitely simpler metric system, I can tell you it ain't gonna go. The US voted in the 80's to switch to metric, and then gave up after several years of resistance from a population that knew very well how long ten inches was, but hadn't a clue how long ten centimeters might be.

Never underestimate the power of inertia -- especially when spread over a large population.

Return to “Chat”