Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

any historical personages you wish had fiction composed about them

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Matt Phillips
Reader

Post by Matt Phillips » Mon August 16th, 2010, 7:31 pm

Going way back to the first post, there is a self-published novel available about Peter Francisco, written by one of his descendants, called Hercules of the Revolution: http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-Revoluti ... 0615296351

Also, Jose de San Martin was mentioned, and there's a poster at Absolute Write who is working on a novel in part about him. Here's his website: http://www.davidgaughran.com/index.html

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon August 16th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Posted by SGM
She did appear in another one -- was it the Vizard Mask?
Yes, Aphra Behn does appear in Diana Norman's Vizard Mask. Iit's a long time since I read it, but I think the connection was her time spent as a debtor in Newgate, a fate which befalls the main character.

AB led such an interesting life- you could make a good novel of her time spent as a British spy in Antwerp, for example.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon August 16th, 2010, 8:59 pm

[quote=""annis""]

AB led such an interesting life- you could make a good novel of her time spent as a British spy in Antwerp, for example.[/quote]

You read my mind exactly.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

ccarr
Scribbler

Post by ccarr » Wed August 18th, 2010, 11:14 pm

Being an avid reader of the history of British exploration in Africa, I'd nominate:

Diplomat, spy, adventurer and explorer Sir Richard Burton

Mary Kingsley, who explored West Africa alone (i.e., without a man in tow)

Florence Baker, allegedly rescued by Samuel Baker (who eventually became her husband) from white slavers, and subsequently journeyed with him on his expeditions along the Nile

Richard Ruark, member of the merchant marine, journalist, alchoholic, womanizer and big game hunter, who emulated Hemingway in every way except talent. Nevertheless, a fascinating, flawed character who lived life to the full.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed August 18th, 2010, 11:40 pm

Are there any good NF books about Mary Kingsley or Florence Baker? (I assume there's no HF since you've mentioned them on this thread). They both sound like very interesting people .....

ccarr
Scribbler

Post by ccarr » Fri August 20th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Mary Kingsley wrote an autobio-"Travels in West Africa." She's also the subject of a bio by Dea called "Mary Kingsley, Imperial Adventuress." And while I was confirming this info, I found that Richard Bausch published a fictionalized account of some of her travels in "Hello to the Cannibals." Haven't read that one.

Dorothy Middleton wrote a bio of Florence Baker entitled "To the Heart of the Nile." There's lots written about and by Samuel Baker. Happy reading.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri August 20th, 2010, 7:00 pm

Pat Shipman's NF book about Florence Baker, The Stolen Woman, is quite good.

Anne Baker (not sure if there's a family connection) wrote a novel about Florence called Morning Star (1972).

I also enjoyed Brian Thompson'se NF book Imperial Vanities: The Adventures of the Baker Brothers and Gordon of Khartoum

Last year I read Iliya Troyanov's novel Collector of Worlds, which I thought excellent. It approaches the life of Sr Richard Burton from an oblique angle, which works well when dealing with such an enigmatic, chameleon-like character. The story covers three major parts of Burton's life, is multi-layered and told by several different narrators.
Last edited by annis on Fri August 20th, 2010, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ccarr
Scribbler

Post by ccarr » Sat August 21st, 2010, 12:59 am

Thanks for this post. I'm particularly excited to learn about the Burton book, which I haven't read, but will track down soon. Poor Valentine Baker, although I suppose Gordon's fate was worse.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat August 21st, 2010, 1:27 am

Funny, the case against Valentine Baker for indecent behaviour on a train which ruined his career doesn't appear at all in the Wikipedia article that I can see, and yet it was a major scandal at the time, and an article about it even appears in an 1875 copy of a New Zealand newspaper, so it was an Empire-wide scandal as well! Thompson, in Imperial Vanities, puts quite a bit of the blame for Baker's downfall on Queen Victoria, who apparently had a real set against him because he was a friend of Bertie, the Prince of Wales. He probably would have been acquitted without her influence. Being a gentleman he refused to defend himself so as to spare the lady in question any unpleasantness.

The case is covered in Victorian Sensations (see pg 126)

I see that Anne Baker, author of the novel about Florence Baker wrote an NF book about the Valentine Baker case as well, called A Question of Honour, so i'm guessing that there must be a family connection.
Last edited by annis on Sat August 21st, 2010, 1:46 am, edited 5 times in total.

Diiarts
Scribbler
Location: I'm based in Hampshire (UK) but we also have a partner based in Kentucky, USA

Post by Diiarts » Tue August 24th, 2010, 2:16 pm

[quote=""Amanda""]Margarets!

Margaret of York
Margaret of Austria
Margaret Douglas[/quote]

Margaret Douglas is all over Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond Chronicles like a rash.
www.diiarts.com - books for people who love books

Return to “General Discussion”