Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pippa's £400,000 book deal

annis
Bibliomaniac

Pippa's £400,000 book deal

Post by annis » Mon November 28th, 2011, 8:03 pm

Pippa Middleton, sister to Kate, party planner – and most recently, lucky recipient of a reported £400,000 book deal from Penguin's commercial imprint, Michael Joseph.

Full article from the Guardian here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksbl ... er-advance

I have to agree with this sentiment:
"Yet the Middleton deal shows that even in these straitened times, publishers are still prepared to pay out huge advances if they really believe in a book. It's just a shame this is the book they believe in".

I suspect that HM may not be amused :) It's considered very non-U to make money from your royal connections.
Last edited by annis on Mon November 28th, 2011, 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Mon November 28th, 2011, 10:16 pm

Oh. Dear. Definitely not a title I'll be indulging in, at least it's a party hostess guide and not a life story... :rolleyes:

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue November 29th, 2011, 3:55 am

I don't see a problem with it, other than too many zeros in the number. She's writing about how to throw a party, not about being sister to a royal family member.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 29th, 2011, 10:05 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I don't see a problem with it, other than too many zeros in the number. She's writing about how to throw a party, not about being sister to a royal family member.[/quote]

Which is probably the reason she got the deal I would think, no one had heard of her before the wedding. Sounds like the publishers are a bit a) starstruck and b) jumping on the William/Kate bandwagon. Shame as Will and Kate seem to be the most "normal" members of the Royal Family, in as much as they can be "normal".
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue November 29th, 2011, 1:05 pm

She'll have got the deal because people will buy that book in droves. Many of them will be non-readers. Many will be the kind who queued round the corner when model and celeb Jordan was doing book signings for her ghost-written works. There's a market out there that widens out beyond traditional book readers and the publishers know they can make a good buck out of it, even offering that kind of advance - which may of course be world rights too and reflected in the money offered. She wouldn't have got the deal if she hadn't been Kate's sister in law, but it is what it is. There's money to be had and money to be made! Any bets the publisher will have an in house team working on this too. She won't write it all herself...
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 29th, 2011, 2:15 pm

Agree with you entirely, EC. There are people who'll buy anything with a royal connection, however tenuous.
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue November 29th, 2011, 5:58 pm

EC's quite right - this book deal is directly related to Pippa's celeb status as a party girl related to the royals by marriage. It's all about the craziness of the celeb cult- and people (for that read women), will flock to buy this book just for the sake of having it and maybe for the chance to fantasize a bit about having the glamorous, fun-filled lifestyle of a wealthy, pretty celeb themselves. Sad, really.

I get the impression that The Firm (Royalty Inc.) sees Pippa as a bit of a liability - while the rest of the Middletons behave with discretion, Pippa seems to attract the celebrity circus in ways probably considered undesirable. (Though the Royals might also feel they got a bum deal when they acquired reprobate ex-English rugby captain, Mike Tindall, as a nephew-in-law :) )
Last edited by annis on Wed November 30th, 2011, 4:17 am, edited 7 times in total.

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Post by Ken » Tue November 29th, 2011, 9:50 pm

[quote=""annis""]Though the Royals might also feel they got a bum deal when they acquired reprobate ex-English rugby captain, Mike Tinsdall, as a nephew-in-law [/quote]

That would be two 'bum' deals then? I know which I prefer!

Perhaps EC should write a book on how to throw a Medieval party. Should be worth a few hundred thousand! :p

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed November 30th, 2011, 3:24 am

[quote=""Ken""]
Perhaps EC should write a book on how to throw a Medieval party. Should be worth a few hundred thousand! :p [/quote]

I would buy that book!

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed November 30th, 2011, 3:59 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]I would buy that book![/quote]

Yeah. That sounds fun. There'd be no more ridiculous velvet mistakes at my 13th century soiree! We'd be dressed and fed and well researched! ;)

Return to “Chat”