Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Downtown Abbey Season 2

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue November 29th, 2011, 9:46 am

She certainly does! Maggie Smith is a brilliant actress.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 29th, 2011, 10:08 am

Apparently the third series will be set in the 1920s, so there should be some lovely clothes!
Currently reading: The Warrior's Princess by Barbara Erskine

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue November 29th, 2011, 4:24 pm

Thanks! I've got my DVR set to get all the Masterpiece shows, so should be set. Hard to wait until January, though.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon January 9th, 2012, 8:47 pm

Who else watched last night? Wow, it seemed like a lot happened!
I came across the companion book in Barnes & Noble not long ago and thumbed through it. This book provides a look behind the show's production for both seasons.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Mon January 9th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Saw it and enjoyed it -- right after The King's Speech on Showtime.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Tue January 10th, 2012, 4:25 am

Uh oh. I shouldn't have read this thread. I just watched the first four episodes of season I on Netflix. I think I'm hooked. Is there a 12 step program?

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri January 13th, 2012, 5:11 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Apparently the third series will be set in the 1920s, so there should be some lovely clothes![/quote]

Now, that will be a fun ride! You can get into a lot of trouble in the 1920s :D

[quote=""princess garnet""]Who else watched last night? Wow, it seemed like a lot happened!
I came across the companion book in Barnes & Noble not long ago and thumbed through it. This book provides a look behind the show's production for both seasons.[/quote]

I watched it last night, but I wasn't as impressed. Maybe its the war or something but I didn't enjoy it. I also thought...
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat January 14th, 2012, 1:17 am

[quote=""Divia""]Now, that will be a fun ride! You can get into a lot of trouble in the 1920s :D

I watched it last night, but I wasn't as impressed. Maybe its the war or something but I didn't enjoy it. I also thought...
[/quote]

The sister in question is Edith....But I like the fact that in the first season she was simply a nasty, spiteful girl but in the second her character was fleshed out a bit and she gained some depth. But in the end it is a good show, great location, good actors, great script....it's great entertainment and beats watching er that Snookie? girl or the Kadarshians(SP?)...And yesterday the Christmas at Downtown arrived...Yippeee!!! :D :D

Bec :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat January 14th, 2012, 11:05 am

I only got to watch the Christmas Special the other day (whilst doing my monster load ironing!!). I really enjoyed it - a lovely feel-good two hours and with a happy-ish ending. I agree it's great entertainment and all those beautiful clothes................ plus Dan Stephens is rather nice!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat January 14th, 2012, 4:15 pm

I'm not liking the script so far, and thats the problem. Last season I loved this season I'm like eh, predictable.

I didn't see the x mas speical.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”