Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Christmas/Holiday gifts

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Christmas/Holiday gifts

Post by Ludmilla » Fri November 18th, 2011, 6:57 pm

So... the season is fast upon us and I'm trying to get ideas. What are you getting your loved ones for Christmas?

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri November 18th, 2011, 8:56 pm

I'll probably get my mother a Kindle Touch since she likes her Kindle but has some trouble with the toggle button. Otherwise, I haven't the foggiest idea yet.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri November 18th, 2011, 10:28 pm

On thanksgiving we throw everybody's name into a basket and each draw one out. We buy a gift for that one person, not to exceed $50. We also have big felt stockings for each person, shich can be filled as anybody pleases with gifts not to exceed $5.

the grandkids are preschoolers, so they get and don't have to give. For them, Jay & I put a sum into an 'enrichment savings account' which pays for fun things for them to do during the year, like dancing lessons or preschool or a visit to the zoo. We kick into that account on birthdays and other holidays, too.

For the spouse, I'm getting a thingy that you strap on your arm and it tracks your body metrics -- how much sleep you get, how much you move, heart rate, etc. It works together with a compluter program that can also monitor calorie intake. Jay is a techie geek, and I'm hoping that increased awareness will increase his exercise. Since his knees have started to hurt him, his exercise has dropped, and then he gains weight and loses muscle tone, and his knees hurt more--a vicious cycle.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat November 19th, 2011, 4:22 pm

My family has been fortunate in the recent downturn and everyone still has a job and a home. For adult family members, I donate to a charity (usually Heifer International) in their name. The children get so much crap from their parents and grandparents, I hate to give anything else, so I send them "adoption" cards from the World Wildlife Fund. The kids go on line, choose the kind of animal they want to adopt, and receive a package of pictures, information and a small plush toy. For hubby it's usually tickets to a show and a book. For daughter it's paying for Winter Game at her favorite LARP camp and a book store giftcard. Both hubby and daughter have birthdays close to the holidays, so I try to get something more personal/unique for that.

There's an email going around (I've received it from two different people) suggesting that people give gifts of local services (hairdressers, car washes, cleaning services, local restaurants, etc.) so the money you spend stays in your community. Not a bad idea!

Edited to add: For those who like to give things, there are always local crafts people/artists who have unique and beautiful products for gifts. Support your local artist!
Last edited by fljustice on Mon November 21st, 2011, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat November 19th, 2011, 7:40 pm

Love Heifer international! Used to be one of my regular speaking gigs. I'd show up at the church/synagogue/community center with a couple of llamas and talk about how the program caused goodwill to spread through communities, as each new family waited for their 'gift offspring' from the previous one.

Return to “Chat”