Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hell on Wheels

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Hell on Wheels

Post by Divia » Sun November 13th, 2011, 4:39 am

Is anyone watching this show? First episode was last week. Its pretty gritty. I was never a western girl, but my father and step father both like them so I guess its rubbing off on me. :D

http://www.amctv.com/shows/hell-on-wheels
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Sun November 13th, 2011, 1:37 pm

I watched it! Will give it a few more episodes to find its feet, I think... I loved Deadwood and that sets a pretty high bar. I think I may have hurt myself suspending my disbelief when
But we'll see. I think they got the sense of time and place pretty well.

I like most of AMC's scripted series, and am still mourning the far-too-early demise of Rubicon. :)
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon November 14th, 2011, 11:40 pm

As we sorted through my fathers belongings I found 3 box sets of 'Deadwood'...I have never watched the show and am not one for westerns but I did like Lonesome Dove...is it as good as that one?

Bec :)

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Tue November 15th, 2011, 2:24 am

Well, Deadwood isn't for everyone--it was notorious for its ear-bogglingly filthy language. Websites were created to keep track of it, with various statistical comparisons:

The Number of F*cks in Deadwood

But the historical milieu was wonderfully done, the writing and acting were stellar (particularly the star turn of Ian McShane as Al Swearengen, although Powers Boothe as Tolliver and Gerald McRaney as George Hearst were also stunning), and much of the story and characters were based on historical fact.

For me, Deadwood was better than Lonesome Dove, but tastes will vary...

Regarding Hell on Wheels... the mapmaker's wife continues to strain all credibility by
I will keep watching just to see what they have her do next! :)
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Tue November 15th, 2011, 1:25 pm

I've got the pilot and first episode recorded on my DVR and they are at the top of my TBW (to be watched) list. I'm looking forward to the series since it is an AMC production. I'm a big fan of The Killing even though crime dramas are not my typical viewing choice and I absolutely love The Walking Dead, so I have high hopes for Hell on Wheels.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Unto us a son is Given" by Donna Leon
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 15th, 2011, 2:02 pm

2nd series of The Killing (Danish version) starts here this weekend; I didn't see the first one but so many people are talking about it I'll give it a go - plus there's not much else to choose from at the moment - all reality TV rubbish practically every night. It's only 10 episodes this time, and she has a new jumper!
Currently reading: "Unto us a son is Given" by Donna Leon

DeAnnaCameron
Scribbler

Post by DeAnnaCameron » Thu December 15th, 2011, 3:21 am

I'm really liking Hell on Wheels. I didn't think I would because I was such a big fan of Deadwood, but it has grown on me.

Has anyone heard if it's been picked up for aother season?
DANCING AT THE CHANCE, love and vaudeville in Old New York (Berkley/April)
THE BELLY DANCER, a novel of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair (Berkley/out now)
www.deannacameron.com

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri December 16th, 2011, 1:24 am

Gosh I forgot I wrote that about 'Deadwood'...I still haven't watched it and probably won't in that I don't like westerns much.

I have heard about 'The killing' and thought about trying to rent it from a Blockbuster(if they have it in) most reviews are good on the Danish version but mixed on the English version. I will probably try and get the Danish one.

Bec :)

LGWalker
Scribbler

Post by LGWalker » Sun December 18th, 2011, 5:34 pm

I've watched a few episodes of Hell on Wheels ... it's no Lonesome Dove, but you can't beat Tommy Lee Jones as Woodrow and Robert Duvall as Augustus ... I think Hell on Wheels is a little too gritty and graphic for me, but it might be more historically accurate. I literally felt sick during the scene when he's "performing surgery" on that young woman ... too gross!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat December 24th, 2011, 1:55 pm

I think its pretty historically accurate. I mean I'm not Western historian but from the other stuff I see its pretty spot on(social history wise. Costumes are good too)

It is graphic. I didnt think it would be as graphic as it was. :eek: The arrow thing shocked me. The surgery had me turning my head.

I like it though. And the main character is a hottie. :o That always helps.

I never liked deadwood. I couldn't get into it for whatever reason. Maybe I'll try again.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”