Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wotcha!

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Tue November 15th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Carla - Tebay gets extra marks for having a pond with ducks! :D
Is he the subject of your research, out of interest?
He is indeed. I included him as a minor player in the first novel I wrote, but soon became intrigued enough to want to write a novel with him as the protagonist. So far all I have is copious quantities of notes and extracts, but I'll get there eventually!

For the Kingdoms of the North trilogy...yes, I came across them a couple of years ago when I first starting researching Rheged (the research has been going somewhat slowly, for various reasons) - I've managed to get hold of all three, although so far I've only read Bride of the Spear. It's a very enjoyable read, and I love the fact that although Kathleen Herbert doesn't pull her punches with regard to certain events, she still gave it a satisfyingly happy ending. I'll have to read the other two soon, but I've just started Sutcliff's Sword at Sunset, so they'll have to be patient! Looking forward to it, though.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Wed November 16th, 2011, 1:50 pm

And for having decent food, almost unique in the sorry history of UK motorway service stations :-)

I'm amazed that Urien hasn't had more attention from historical novelists. He had such an extraordinary career. I suppose he tends to be associated with a bit-part role in Arthuriana, and that overshadows the historical figure. Good luck!

The other two novels in the trilogy step forward a generation, so although some figures from Bride of the Spear reappear (notably Penarwen and Rhun), Taniu and Owain don't; the story moves on to Rhianmellt, Rhun's grand-daughter. I reckon Bride of the Spear can be read as a stand-alone. The other two work best if read as a pair in the right order; Ghost in the Sunlight follows on from events in Queen of the Lightning. I'll probably review them in turn when Trifolium bring the new editions out this year and next.

Sword at Sunset is one of my favourite versions of the Arthur story. Will be interested to hear your thoughts.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed November 16th, 2011, 2:04 pm

[quote=""erechwydd""]Madeleine, there are indeed some lovely places in the West Country - Dartmoor and Wiltshire are two of my favourites. I have to admit that I don't know much about the 12th century, but from what I've read in novels it sounds like a very interesting period. :)

Thank you![/quote]

Yes they're lovely, also Cornwall and Somerset - Exmoor is pretty dramatic and I love all the villages. Traffic is a nightmare though! :eek: :mad:
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

Post by parthianbow » Wed November 16th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Welcome, Beth. Really nice to have another member from this area! I live about 9 miles from Bristol, on the road to Wells, and Stu1883, another member, lives in Bristol.

Were you on the creative writing course in Bath Spa Uni?
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Wed November 16th, 2011, 9:09 pm

Carla, I have to admit, I've never eaten at Tebay...or any other service station, come to think of it. From your comment, I suspect that the latter is possibly a good thing...
I suppose he tends to be associated with a bit-part role in Arthuriana, and that overshadows the historical figure. Good luck!
Thanks. :) I agree totally about the Arthurian incarnation overshadowing the 'reality', although I was still suprised at the lack of attention he'd received...gives me carte blanche, though, I suppose. ;)

Penarwan...uh-oh. :D I agree, Bride of the Spear works very well as a stand-alone, whereas when I flipped through the other two (back when I first got them), they did seem more connected. I also got the impression (though I haven't looked at them for a while) that magic seemed a bit more prominent in the latter two than in Bride of the Spear? I look forward to reading your reviews.
Sword at Sunset is one of my favourite versions of the Arthur story. Will be interested to hear your thoughts.
I'll probably try a review of it when I'm finished. :) I haven't read very much so far, as I'm having to balance it with university texts, but hopefully I'll catch up with those soon and have more time to devote to it.

erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Wed November 16th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Madeleine, to my shame I've never been to either Cornwall or Exmoor. :eek: I'd love to visit both, though. Know just what you mean about the traffic...we had some family up from Cornwall the other day and they were encouraging us greatly with just how busy it gets down there... ;)

erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Wed November 16th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Hi Ben - thanks for the welcome! I'm about the same distance as you from Bristol, to the west. Nice to meet someone else in the area, and to know there are others out there. :)
The creative writing courses I studied were with the Open University (as that's who I'm doing my degree with), but I've been busy eyeing up Bath Spa's MA course for some years, since it looks to cover some really interesting topics.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Thu November 17th, 2011, 11:26 am

[quote=""erechwydd""]
Thanks. :) I agree totally about the Arthurian incarnation overshadowing the 'reality', although I was still suprised at the lack of attention he'd received...gives me carte blanche, though, I suppose. ;)

Penarwan...uh-oh. :D I agree, Bride of the Spear works very well as a stand-alone, whereas when I flipped through the other two (back when I first got them), they did seem more connected. I also got the impression (though I haven't looked at them for a while) that magic seemed a bit more prominent in the latter two than in Bride of the Spear? I look forward to reading your reviews. [/quote]

Yes, I'd say you pretty well have carte blanche. He appears in Bride of the Spear, but only as a secondary character. Over to you! :-)

Ghost in the Sunlight has some supernatural components - some of the same magic themes reappear in Kathleen Herbert's last novel Moon In Leo, so I wonder if it was something she was interested in. Less so in Queen of the Lightning, I would say, where it's more on the lines of characters' religious beliefs (similar to Bride of the Spear) and doesn't have to depend on actual magic as such.

I'll look forward to your review of Sword at Sunset.
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords

erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Thu November 17th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Ah, right, thanks - it must have been Ghost in the Sunlight I was thinking of, then. So far I've only read a few extracts from Moon in Leo on the Trifolium Books blog (I do recall a scene involving goddess worship, which seemed to feature quite prominently in Bride of the Spear as well) - but it's on my 'to read' list. Which is getting longer and longer... ;)
Last edited by erechwydd on Thu November 17th, 2011, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Fri November 18th, 2011, 10:57 am

An ever-growing 'to-read' list tends to be a result of this forum :-)

I think the goddess worship scene on the blog was one that was dropped from the final version of the Moon In Leo. Trifolium did quite a lot of editing to get from the draft to the published version. Yes, there's a goddess worship thread running through all the books; Queen of the Lightning and especially Ghost in the Sunlight feature a (fictional) goddess worship centre at Buxton and around Mam Tor in the Peak District, and much the same sort of beliefs reappear in south Cumbria in Moon In Leo. As I remember, the goddess worship is religion and belief; the characters may believe in it, and it shapes their actions and decisions, but the reader can decide whether to share the belief.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”