Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wotcha!

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Sun November 13th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Carla. :) I have in fact been reading your blog for a while now, and I'm always impressed at how much you know about the little details of the Early Medieval period. (I have a lot of research reading to do!)
The username...well, I did wonder if it was entirely appropriate, considering I'm a born southerner who has not even (alas) set foot in Cumbria except for a couple of stops at Tebay services. :rolleyes: But it fits in with what I'm researching/writing, so I decided to go with it anyway. :D
Really enjoyed Paths of Exile, by the way - especially the way you blended harsh realities with such a healthy helping of humour.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sun November 13th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Hi Beth and welcome. You're in a lovely part of the country. I also like early mediaeval -12th century - and love the West Country. Have fun here, and good luck with the writing.
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Sun November 13th, 2011, 9:35 pm

Hi Beth! How great that you're here. I think you'll find lots of people (including me!) who share your interests!

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun November 13th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Hi, Beth! Welcome to the board. Looking forward to chatting with you on the threads.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon November 14th, 2011, 3:51 am

Hi Beth! Nice to meet you.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon November 14th, 2011, 9:50 am

Welcome, Beth. I hope you enjoy it here!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Tue November 15th, 2011, 6:47 pm

[quote=""erechwydd""]Thanks for the welcome, Carla. :) I have in fact been reading your blog for a while now, and I'm always impressed at how much you know about the little details of the Early Medieval period. (I have a lot of research reading to do!)
The username...well, I did wonder if it was entirely appropriate, considering I'm a born southerner who has not even (alas) set foot in Cumbria except for a couple of stops at Tebay services. :rolleyes: But it fits in with what I'm researching/writing, so I decided to go with it anyway. :D
Really enjoyed Paths of Exile, by the way - especially the way you blended harsh realities with such a healthy helping of humour.[/quote]

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed Exile, and pleased you find my blog useful - it's always nice to know there's someone reading.
Tebay services is the best service station in the country by a large margin, so that displays excellent taste :-)
I always associate Erechwydd with Urien Rheged. Is he the subject of your research, out of interest? By the way, if you're interested in early medieval Cumbria, have you come across Kathleen Herbert's North Kingdoms trilogy (aka Cumbrian trilogy)? I like them very much. The first one, Bride of the Spear, is set in the late-ish sixth century and the hero is Owain son of Urien.
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Tue November 15th, 2011, 8:52 pm

Madeleine, there are indeed some lovely places in the West Country - Dartmoor and Wiltshire are two of my favourites. I have to admit that I don't know much about the 12th century, but from what I've read in novels it sounds like a very interesting period. :)
Have fun here, and good luck with the writing.
Thank you!

erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Tue November 15th, 2011, 8:52 pm

Sarah, thanks for the welcome. Ah-ha...I spy much Welshness on your website! :D It's great to find like-minded people. :)

erechwydd
Reader

Post by erechwydd » Tue November 15th, 2011, 8:53 pm

Thank you everyone, for making me feel so at home! :)

Return to “Introduce Yourself”