Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ben Kane and I made it into Wikipedia!

Got something of interest to the forum, like giveaways, news, etc.? Post it here!
fljustice
Bibliophile

Ben Kane and I made it into Wikipedia!

Post by fljustice » Thu November 10th, 2011, 3:22 pm

Like most authors, I have a Google Alert on my name. Most of the time, it returns hits from lists like HFO when I post. Occasionally I find a review of Selene that I missed. Imagine my surprise when I got a hit on a Wikipedia article on Outlaw by Angus Donald. They quoted a book review I posted on my blog (also posted review here.) I'm in good company...Ben Kane is quoted in the article, as well! My respect for their scholarship is growing. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_(novel)

Wikipedia is a curious institution. My blog posts on the movie Agora got a lot of discussion on the work page for the movie, but never made it into the English article. They did make it into the Greek language article. I get several hits a week from both pages.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Thu November 10th, 2011, 6:12 pm

How fab Fl! Good for you and Ben :D

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Fri November 11th, 2011, 3:44 pm

Very cool! Congrats to you both!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun November 13th, 2011, 12:07 am

Congratulations to you both, Faith :)

I didn't know whether to be flattered or dismayed when I found my article on Rosemary Sutcliff quoted as a reference in Wikipedia articles about some of her titles. Pleased that someone thought my work worth referencing and rather horrified because the writer was taking unsubstantiated work as gospel - I could have been writing a load of tosh for all he/she knew (though hopefuly not!)

Greg
Reader

honourable mentions

Post by Greg » Sun November 13th, 2011, 3:18 am

[quote=""fljustice""]Like most authors, I have a Google Alert on my name. Most of the time, it returns hits from lists like HFO when I post. Occasionally I find a review of Selene that I missed. Imagine my surprise when I got a hit on a Wikipedia article on Outlaw by Angus Donald. They quoted a book review I posted on my blog (also posted review here.) I'm in good company...Ben Kane is quoted in the article, as well! My respect for their scholarship is growing. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlaw_(novel)

Wikipedia is a curious institution. My blog posts on the movie Agora got a lot of discussion on the work page for the movie, but never made it into the English article. They did make it into the Greek language article. I get several hits a week from both pages.[/quote]

That is excellent news, the internet is proving to be a real boon to indie writers, as Oscar Wilde said it is better to be noticed than not noticed. In my case I can't use my name in searches due to its appropriation by that scurrilous pill popping doctor. So my searches have to be more laborious and intensive.

Regards Greg House

The Liberties of London
The Queen's Oranges
The Cardinal's Angels

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun November 13th, 2011, 10:00 pm

[quote=""annis""]Congratulations to you both, Faith :)

I didn't know whether to be flattered or dismayed when I found my article on Rosemary Sutcliff quoted as a reference in Wikipedia articles about some of her titles. Pleased that someone thought my work worth referencing and rather horrified because the writer was taking unsubstantiated work as gospel - I could have been writing a load of tosh for all he/she knew (though hopefuly not!)[/quote]

Exactly! I was quite pleased to be quoted, but thought they could have found a more standard source such as a well-known paper's review. I wonder how much my comment, "I want a modern-day Robin Hood (or better yet thousands of Robin Hoods) to stand up to power and make things better," had to do with it; given the "occupy" movements that are all over now.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Member Announcements”