Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? November 2011

Retired Threads
weirdfishes4
Scribbler

Post by weirdfishes4 » Tue November 15th, 2011, 4:09 am

I just finished The Far Pavilions by MM Kaye. Wow what a great book! Makes me wonder why it took me this long to read it. I think my next read will be Legacy by Susan Kay. Is it as good as everybody says it is??

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 15th, 2011, 12:51 pm

[quote=""weirdfishes4""]I just finished The Far Pavilions by MM Kaye. Wow what a great book! Makes me wonder why it took me this long to read it. I think my next read will be Legacy by Susan Kay. Is it as good as everybody says it is??[/quote]

Yes. It. Is.

Happy reading :)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue November 15th, 2011, 5:58 pm

This morning I started Curse Not the King by Evelyn Anthony (the second in her trilogy about Catherine the Great).

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue November 15th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Currently reading Charles McCarry's Bride of the Wilderness, an early American Colonial which takes it main characters from England and France into the wilderness of the American NE and Canada, spanning the late 17th/early 18th centuries. I actually discovered this book by reading one of his cold war espionage novels. Apparently, he wrote this to give his cold war spy a family history.

george3
Scribbler

Post by george3 » Tue November 15th, 2011, 7:54 pm

"The End of Sparta" by Victor Davis Hanson.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Wed November 16th, 2011, 2:09 am

The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Wed November 16th, 2011, 2:40 am

I finished the last of Joan Wolf's Dark Ages trilogy, The Edge of Light, last night. I really enjoyed it and have gone trolling for others by her that might appeal to me.

I'm staying in the same time period as I started Carla's Paths of Exile on my Kindle today.

My book on CD in my car is Empress Orchid, by Anchee MIn.

When I do cardio, I get to listen to a book on my ipod. I'm listening to Killer Angels now.

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Wed November 16th, 2011, 3:47 am

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Currently reading Charles McCarry's Bride of the Wilderness, an early American Colonial which takes it main characters from England and France into the wilderness of the American NE and Canada, spanning the late 17th/early 18th centuries. I actually discovered this book by reading one of his cold war espionage novels. Apparently, he wrote this to give his cold war spy a family history.[/quote]

Ludmilla - This sounds like something I'd like as I'm currently into this period/place. I'll be interested in knowing if you recommend it once you're finished.

Yesterday I finished A Land Remembered by Patrick D Smith, which is an HF take on 3 generations of the MacIvey family and what life was like in central/southern Florida from 1860's to 1960's. Being a transplant to Florida now for 14 years, it was nice to get a feel for some of its history. I really enjoyed this and would recommend it.

I've just started David Liss' The Coffee Trader.
Last edited by javagirl on Thu November 17th, 2011, 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

ranidays
Scribbler

Post by ranidays » Wed November 16th, 2011, 8:03 pm

I am starting World Without End, the second Pillars of the Earth book by Ken Follett... not gonna lie, it's kind of hurting my brain so far because I'm so used to the characters from PotE, so I'm getting all mixed up! Also, the book is loooooong and I usually can read a 300-400 page book in a day, but these long ones are tough haha :)

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Wed November 16th, 2011, 8:08 pm

'Lion Dormant' by Carol Wensby Scott, the 2nd book in her Percy trilogy. About 20 pages in and I'm hooked already, looking forward to seeing how the disgraced Hal Percy redeems his earldom :)

Return to “Archives”