Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Anonymous (Again)

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed November 2nd, 2011, 1:56 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]Definiely passing this one by!

The spoiler about Elizabeth - EWWW!

SM[/quote]

I know, right?

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Wed November 2nd, 2011, 3:36 pm

Well, I love a conspiracy theory so I'll be seeing it. If that makes some people think I'm not intelligent, so be it. ;)

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Wed November 2nd, 2011, 3:54 pm

Well enjoy.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed November 2nd, 2011, 4:23 pm

You know, they might have unintentionally made a comedy. It might be fun to watch it just to howl with laughter.

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Wed November 2nd, 2011, 9:00 pm

Well if it was intended to be a comedy, no one at the theatre last Thursday night got the joke. So either we're all stupid, or not.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Thu November 3rd, 2011, 1:07 pm

I want to see it even if it was just for the scenery :-)

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu November 3rd, 2011, 7:46 pm

[quote=""wendy""]They have! It's in London - check out their web site.

http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/

Anyone going to the UK? It's THE place to visit.[/quote]

Agreed, the building is wonderful but I have to attend a play there accompanied by several pain-killers. The seats (I know I should be so lucky as to have a seat) is very very hard on the back and the posterior and the first half is really really really long with a very short second half. At least all the performance I have been to have been like that. I leave with severe cramp, and a pain in the b** like nothing I have ever had before.

Although it was very interesting seeing an all-male performance of Twelve Night. You get a humour that just doesn't come over if the female parts are played by -- females.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat November 5th, 2011, 3:27 am

Still don't fancy it but then again I didn't like 'Shakespeare in Love' and am still bemused as to how or why Gwyneth won the Oscar :confused:

Another QEI movie I liked was 'Elizabeth' but I didn't like the follow up 'The Golden Age(I think?)...But I loved the TV versions of Helen Mirren as Elizabeth and another one with er...ummmm....*scratches head*...er....AnneMarie somebody?

Bec :)

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat November 5th, 2011, 3:52 am

[quote=""rebecca""]

Another QEI movie I liked was 'Elizabeth' but I didn't like the follow up 'The Golden Age(I think?)...But I loved the TV versions of Helen Mirren as Elizabeth and another one with er...ummmm....*scratches head*...er....AnneMarie somebody?

Bec :) [/quote]

Would that be Anne-Marie Duff?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat November 5th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Its going to be like Amadeus - the type of movie that everyone assumes is all history, when its nothing but speculation (that being said, I loved that movie!) Its a shame that people get their history lessons from tv and movies - they so often get a mixed bag or worse of what really happens. I wish folks would just take what they see as entertainment and story telling, then go do some searching to find out more of the real stuff.

I loved Shakespear in Love, its still one of my favorite movies. Seems every time I watch it I catch another theatre reference. Whether Paltrow deserved the Oscar is not a big concern of mine. I just thought she was wonderful (as was Judy Dench)
Last edited by Ash on Sat November 5th, 2011, 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”