Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

And the Shakespeare debate rages on . . .

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
wendy
Compulsive Reader

And the Shakespeare debate rages on . . .

Post by wendy » Wed October 26th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed October 26th, 2011, 6:37 pm

[quote=""wendy""]Yet another movie with a theory!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/thea ... peare.html[/quote]

I have no strong opinion on the subject and I am not generally a conspiracy-theorist. But having studied some of the "problem plays", it does seem that more than one hand was involved but those plays do tend to be early ones and some collaberation, I understand, was normal for writers attached to the theatre companies.

I understand that Derek Jacobi is of the "committee" or "collaboration "school of believers but I tend to follow (unusually) the David Starkey belief that "classics" are not generally written by committee.

I don't take the Hollywood hocus-pocus too seriously and just appreciate an amazing body of literary work. But I always remember the discussions about Shakespeare at school and college and that we should not forget that Shakespeare was a popular writer and if he had been writing today, it would have been something for mass consumption -- Coronation Street?
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed October 26th, 2011, 6:55 pm

Yes, this isn't a new idea- there have been theories about the authorship of Shakespeare's work around for a very long time. Marlowe often gets mixed up in there too as a possible alternative candidate.

It's rather like Homer - was there "a" Homer, or was Homer's work the result of collected work from various bards, all attributed to an eponymous Homer?

It's fun to speculate, but it has to be said- does it matter? Wouldn't we still enjoy these wonderful works regardless of who actually wrote them? "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" :)
Last edited by annis on Wed October 26th, 2011, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed October 26th, 2011, 6:55 pm

"Anonymous" actually looks like an interesting movie, even if I don't believe Oxford was the "real" Shakespeare.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed October 26th, 2011, 7:20 pm

[quote=""annis""]

It's fun to speculate, but it has to be said- does it matter? Wouldn't we still enjoy these wonderful works regardless of who actually wrote them? "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" :) [/quote]

Yes! This. Exactly.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed October 26th, 2011, 7:26 pm

[quote=""annis""]It's fun to speculate, but it has to be said- does it matter?[/quote]

No -- it doesn't unless you have nothing better to do with your time. I think I would rather spend the time reading the plays.
Last edited by SGM on Wed October 26th, 2011, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Thu October 27th, 2011, 12:57 pm

[quote=""annis""]Yes, this isn't a new idea- there have been theories about the authorship of Shakespeare's work around for a very long time. Marlowe often gets mixed up in there too as a possible alternative candidate.[/quote]

Had he not died so tragically young I believe Marlowe may have become as great as Shakespeare, but for my money they were two very different writers / rivals.

I enjoyed "Shakespeare In Love" - that movie really brought the period to life.

Any one got a particular favorite play? If I HAD to choose one it would be
"Macbeth" -
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Tidelands" by Philippa Gregory
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu October 27th, 2011, 1:20 pm

This is a theme that surfaces every so often.....apparently the residents of Stratford-on-Avon aren't too happy about the film. But it's often said that Marlowe wrote some of the plays.
Currently reading: "Tidelands" by Philippa Gregory

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu October 27th, 2011, 1:27 pm

[quote=""wendy""]Any one got a particular favorite play? If I HAD to choose one it would be
"Macbeth" -[/quote]

I've always been partial to King Lear.

N. Gemini Sasson
Reader

Post by N. Gemini Sasson » Thu October 27th, 2011, 4:04 pm

[quote=""wendy""]
I enjoyed "Shakespeare In Love" - that movie really brought the period to life.

Any one got a particular favorite play? If I HAD to choose one it would be
"Macbeth" -[/quote]

I loved that movie, too, Wendy. My favorite play is Othello.

And isn't it amazing we're still talking about his (or their ;) ) writing so many centuries later?

Return to “History in the News”