Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Help on 1087AD-1135AD

stephen01
Scribbler

Help on 1087AD-1135AD

Post by stephen01 » Mon October 3rd, 2011, 12:26 pm

Can anyone please recommend a work of Non Fiction that gives a clear idea of domestic life in an English city (Exeter, but any example will do) for ordinary people in the reigns of William II and Henry I? I'm fine on key events: it's everyday lives that I need good information on. A section of a larger tome will be fine, too, if no relevant book on this rather precise period doesn't exist.
Thank you!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat October 8th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Something like Urban Tigner Holmes' Daily Living in the Twelfth Century might give you some ideas.

Elizabeth Chadwick, who sets her novels in the 11th-14th century period, has kindly made available a list of the reference works she often consults here - could be worth a look for some ideas:
http://elizabethchadwickreference.blogspot.com/

There is an older book (recently reproduced) by Alexander Jenkins called The History and Description of the City of Exeter:
And Its Environs, Ancient and Modern, Civil and Ecclesiastical which looks useful, but you may well have already checked that out.

stephen01
Scribbler

Post by stephen01 » Sun October 9th, 2011, 11:29 am

Many thanks! Very useful leads.

Return to “Questions and Research”