Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Zafon

LoisAnn
Reader

Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Zafon

Postby LoisAnn » Tue August 26th, 2008, 4:09 pm

I read this book over 18 months ago, which is actually okay, because I can base my comments on those elements of the book which have stayed with me over the course of time and made it a 5-star book for me ... and for my mother (Lindymc), my husband and my daughter ... who, after reading it, insisted on having a copy of her own.

The first thing that leaps to mind about this book is the unbelievable plot and the characters that bring the story to life. The plot, and characters, are well developed, complex and given lots of depth. Like any good, full-length novel, there are several subplots at work throughout the story and they are never distracting, but contribute mightily to the overall effectiveness and enjoyment of this book. In addition to all else going on, there is a marvelous mystery that kept me guessing up to the final conclusion.

The book is almost lyrical in some places - the descriptive writing is most excellent, never interrupts the flow of the story and is never boring. Rather, it helps the reader become a part of the story - always a strong selling point with me.

When I think of what I look for in an historical fiction novel, at the top of the list are such things as respect and consideration for historical accuracy of the subject matter, great characters and a great plot that bring the history to life and an intelligent and skillful writing style that brings me into the story. Shadow of the Wind does all this and more.

With all the great books out there to be read, I am very picky about what books are on my "read again someday" list ... this is definitely one of them!
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. ~ Charles de Secondat

tsjmom
Reader

Postby tsjmom » Thu August 28th, 2008, 8:45 pm

SPOILER ALERT!

I'm conflicted about this one. I liked how the story kind of comes full circle, but I'm just not into DARK novels. I shudder a bit when I think about it.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Postby diamondlil » Sat August 30th, 2008, 11:26 pm

I loved this book when I read it!

Back when Barnes and Noble used to have the BNU courses, I did one on this book where the author participated which was just awesome. He mentioned at the time that he was planning another 3 loosely connected books, but then I didn't hear much more about it until earlier this year!

The follow up book to this one came out in Spanish in April and is due to be released in English in April next year! It is called The Angel's Game. I for one cannot wait!

Return to “By Author's Last Name R-Z”