Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Your Green Man Stories

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Your Green Man Stories

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Thu September 22nd, 2011, 12:59 pm

Hello, everyone. Would anyone be willing to share the Green Man folklore they heard as children/adults living in the UK?

I've read a few short story collections based on the GM lore but I want local information for a WIP.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri September 23rd, 2011, 7:55 pm

Not being English, I can't help you with GM stories, but there is a book I've seen recommended for readers interested in English folklore which contains stories from virtually every village and settlement in old England. It's called
The Lore of the Land: A guide to England's Legends, from Spring Heeled Jack to the Witches of Warboys by Jennifer Westwood and Jacqueline Simpson. Could be worth a look, though I haven't read it myself so don't know how often the GM makes an appearance.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Sun September 25th, 2011, 3:04 am

Ooo, that's one I've not seen. Thanks so much, Annis. You are always so helpful.

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Wed September 28th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Have you come across Mike Harding's book about the Green Man? He's a folk singer who got fascinated by the subject and started looking round churches all over the UK in search of Green Men.
"There were no full time Vikings back then. Everybody had another job."
Neil Gaiman, from Odd and the Frost Giants.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Thu September 29th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Is his book "In Search of the Green Man"? If the title is something along those lines, I believe I've read it. There were many fascinating pictures of Green Men from churches. Thanks for your suggestion!

Oh and Annis, that book is proving very difficult to borrow. None of the libraries in my area have it and I can't read a bit of it online. I might just have to purchase it but it is rather costly and it may not have much...

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu September 29th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Would your local library be able to get it for you from elsewhere as a library interloan? You don't want to spend a lot of money on something which may not be all that useful to you.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Fri September 30th, 2011, 2:44 am

I need to check if they can loan from Vandy's library or possibly UT's in Knoxville. None of the area branches in my county or the two surrounding counties have it. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Questions and Research”