Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I can't believe (insert author) wrote this!

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
LCW
Compulsive Reader

I can't believe (insert author) wrote this!

Post by LCW » Thu September 15th, 2011, 2:29 am

Are there any of your favorite authors whose books you've loved but there was just that one book that made you go "what???".

I usually enjoy Rosalind Laker books with To Dance with Kings being a huge favorite. I've read a few others and enjoyed them but Banners of Silk was just terrible. I remember hating the characters and being bored stiff at the same time.

Another was Patricia Ryan. She wrote my all time favorite Historical Romance, Silken Threads, but followed it up with a terrible sequal, The Sun and the Moon. I've read a few others by her and while none are as good as Threads they were all decent. I'm not sure what happened with Sun and the Moon. :confused:

If I think of any other authors I'll list them here!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu September 15th, 2011, 9:56 am

Margaret George is really hit and miss with me - I love half her books but couldn't finished the other half of them.

I love Patricia Ryan's historical mystery series but I'm not big on strictly romance (don't mind it mixed in with something else, like a mystery).

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri September 16th, 2011, 2:23 am

LCW--Sorry to go off topic...but the pic of the dog next to your name. Can you tell me what breed of dog it is? We have a bitsa called Sheba, her mother was a labrador(golden) and we were told the father was a German Shepherd but she doesn't look like a GS. Sheba resembles the dog in your pic even the build. She is a delight and is also very territorial.

Thanks Bec :)

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Fri September 16th, 2011, 9:25 am

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri September 16th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Yes, my avatar is my pit bull, Angel. AKA Angelface, Babylove, Spoiledbrat! I found him in a Costco parking lot about 2 years ago when he was a little puppy. He's grown into the most wonderful sweetest dog ever. :)
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri September 16th, 2011, 10:26 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]Margaret George is really hit and miss with me - I love half her books but couldn't finished the other half of them.
[/quote]

I read her book about Helen of Troy and hated it so have been reluctant to read anymore of her work. I have her Cleopatra novel but am saving it for when I'm in the mood to try her again.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun September 18th, 2011, 4:57 am

Thanks Mythica & LCW :)

I think my dog may have a bit of pit-ball in her, but she is not dangerous..Though she does watch the TV :eek: and growls like mad if she spots another dog on the screen :D isn't she smart :D lol.

Now back to books. I have only read one Margaret George which is the one on Henry VIII but I do have her book on Cleopatra and her new one on Elizabeth I. They are on my TBR list.

Bec :)

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sun September 18th, 2011, 6:16 am

[quote=""rebecca""]Thanks Mythica & LCW :)

I think my dog may have a bit of pit-ball in her, but she is not dangerous..Though she does watch the TV :eek: and growls like mad if she spots another dog on the screen :D isn't she smart :D lol.[/quote]

Of course she wouldn't be dangerous just because she has some pit bull in her! Pit Bulls are one of the sweetest breeds of dogs. Very clingy to humans and affectionate. Its not their fault they look tough and attract the idiots! ;) Oh and Angel watches tv too! He esp. likes the news, I'm not sure if its people's faces or what but he'll stare at CNN or MSNBC forever lol.

[quote=""rebecca""]Now back to books. I have only read one Margaret George which is the one on Henry VIII but I do have her book on Cleopatra and her new one on Elizabeth I. They are on my TBR list.

Bec :) [/quote]

Ever since this thread I've been thinking I need to give George's Cleopatra novel a go. Sigh, another one to the top of the TBR mountain!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

Mythica
Bibliophile

Post by Mythica » Sun September 18th, 2011, 10:09 am

[quote=""rebecca""]Thanks Mythica & LCW :)

I think my dog may have a bit of pit-ball in her, but she is not dangerous..Though she does watch the TV :eek: and growls like mad if she spots another dog on the screen :D isn't she smart :D lol.[/quote]

No breed should be aggressive. Aggressiveness in any breed or dog is considered a flaw, not the norm. How is she around other dogs though? If she growls at them on TV, she might be dog-dog aggressive (which doesn't make her dog-human aggressive) and that needs to be trained out of her. http://www.dog-obedience-training-revie ... ssion.html

Of course, she may just be growling because she is confused by why she's seeing/hearing another dog but it's not in the room with her and she can't smell it. My previous dog (a Newfie) used to bark when she heard cats or dogs on the TV but only because she was confused, she was never aggressive towards other animals.
Now back to books. I have only read one Margaret George which is the one on Henry VIII but I do have her book on Cleopatra and her new one on Elizabeth I. They are on my TBR list.

Bec :)
I already bought the one on Elizabeth I but I haven't read it yet! I need to start reading the books I already have instead of buying new ones! lol

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sun September 18th, 2011, 11:05 am

[quote=""Mythica""]I need to start reading the books I already have instead of buying new ones! lol[/quote]

Good luck with that. I made that decision once -- lasted about a week...

Return to “General Discussion”