Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Sarah Gristwood on historical fiction

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Sarah Gristwood on historical fiction

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu September 8th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Per a link on the Historical Novel Society Yahoo group:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... books.html
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu September 8th, 2011, 8:51 pm

Ilike my girly covers and girly plots.

I am soooooo tired of the argument that HF is female only(or mostly) and that the stuff is either female or male HF.

WHO CARES?

I've said it before and I'll say it AGAIN. No one says this about fantasy. NO ONE. And that is all about the guys.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu September 8th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Isn't this "surge" of historical fiction more a "resurgence"? I remember reading at some point in the 80s? that the thing about historical fiction was that it sold. I know there was a slump in sales of historical fiction for a while after that but it is only to be expected that such things should happen whilst other genres become more popular for a while.

HF comes in varied forms and styles anyway which appeal to different people. I like my HF to have a historical setting and a plot, others like HF in which the main protagonists were real people.

I know plenty of men who read historical fiction although I suspect they are more likely to read HF written by men but not exclusively so. I was introduced to HF as a child by my Dad who was a big fan of swashbucklers.

Stephen Fry is a big fan of Georgette Heyer.
Last edited by SGM on Thu September 8th, 2011, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri September 9th, 2011, 12:08 am

HF can be as varied as the human race, which it covers. I'm with Divia on this one -- readers will find what they like, something for everyone.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri September 9th, 2011, 12:34 am

Simply, I like history and I like fiction. Therefore, I read historical fiction for entertainment.
I mostly prefer reading about battles to reading romance. What does that make me?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri September 9th, 2011, 2:19 am

Why "guilty" pleasure? I've read HF for as long as I can remember, and I've never felt any guilt over it. Is this another instance of equating HF with bodice-ripper style historical romance? Mind you, I've never felt any guilt over reading that either!

I agree that the pouting female cover is off-putting, in some cases not reflecting the nature of a novel at all, and most guys will just bypass any book with that style of cover. Clearly publishers are hoping to entice the large, established HR reading market into trying something with a bit more - well, history.

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Fri September 9th, 2011, 12:57 pm

Gristwood makes some interesting points. Female writers of HF books do tend to get the pretty-girl-on-the-front cover where "The aesthetic result is ravishing – but it’s a book no man would buy." Even my pirate book (with more battles scenes than love scenes) got the same treatment.

A doctor friend told me he couldn't be seen reading my book because of the "romace-looking" cover - but when an all-male book club selected FIRE ON DARK WATER for their monthly choice they unanimously agreed it was their favorite read since they began eight years ago! Go figure.

Seems like marketing departments should bring out TWO versions of HF covers - one that would appeal to each gender.
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri September 9th, 2011, 1:09 pm

[quote=""wendy""]Gristwood makes some interesting points. Female writers of HF books do tend to get the pretty-girl-on-the-front cover where "The aesthetic result is ravishing – but it’s a book no man would buy." Even my pirate book (with more battles scenes than love scenes) got the same treatment.

A doctor friend told me he couldn't be seen reading my book because of the "romace-looking" cover - but when an all-male book club selected FIRE ON DARK WATER for their monthly choice they unanimously agreed it was their favorite read since they began eight years ago! Go figure.

Seems like marketing departments should bring out TWO versions of HF covers - one that would appeal to each gender.[/quote]

That's a great idea Wendy, it could be an interesting experiment, although presumably it would more expensive for the publisher than just the one edition.

I'm not that keen on lots of battle scenes, although I don't mind them as part of the story (like in EC's Marshal books), and I'm pretty much the same with romance - fine if it's part of the story, but not just the story. ButI do agree that there is a big divide between the male/female covers.

I'm not sure about the guilty pleasure aspect though, it makes HF sound rather naff and as if the reader is embarrassed to admit to reading it.
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat September 10th, 2011, 7:55 pm

Is it wrong that I get so annoyed when men think that reading "female" HF is beneath them? Anything that hints of being feminine seems to be something that men cannot be caught dead reading. IMO, that shows their own their own insecurities more than anything else.

I love reading about romance and relationships. Romance, love, and all the trappings that come with it are every bit as much a part of history as battles or politics. How different would the world be without the romantic aspect of the relationship between Eleanor and Henry? It is very much a valid subject to write and read about esp. when handled with care in the hands of a skilled writer.

K, end rant now :P !
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat September 10th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Well, to be fair, a lot of women won't touch anything that looks as if it it might be a male-orientated historical adventure either, and will automatically denigrate such novels. I personally will read anything and don't discriminate, but there's no getting away from the fact that men and women do quite often have different reading preferences, and that's okay :)
Last edited by annis on Sat September 10th, 2011, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”