Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I've never been a PETA fan, but this tops it all

Charliekat
Scribbler

Post by Charliekat » Sat September 27th, 2008, 12:12 pm

You know, I can understand PETA's concerns, but they totally lose it by making stupid suggestions. Maybe people would listen to them more if they were more realistic.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Sun September 28th, 2008, 6:09 am

What I dislike most about PETA is how callous they are.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun September 28th, 2008, 12:24 pm

They don't seem to want to save animals' lives, but only to prevent their exisitng or possible future suffering. Once they have unwanted animals, they prefer to euthanize and dump them in the trash.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,159861,00.html

Perhaps they need a new name - People for the Ethical Euthanization of Animals. PEEA. They've got quite a kill rate. I guess they don't believe in fostering pets until adoption.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/publishing-in ... 008-1.html
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sun September 28th, 2008, 2:23 pm

Very good information, Leyland! PETA is such a wolf in sheep's clothing but they are so slick that so many people are completely unaware of their true agenda. Many of the causes they fight for are just but a little bit of good in something that's completely bad is more dangerous than something so obviously bad that noone takes it seriously!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun September 28th, 2008, 2:24 pm

A lot of these so-called do-good organizations do much more harm than good. So you're opposed to abortion and they harass workers and clients and burn the offices down. We've had several high end homes burned in the Puget Sound area in the last couple of years with the initials ELF showing up afterwards. So they're opposed to these houses for the environmental impact they think it's causing, but WTH do they think the impact on the environment is from setting all that smoke and carbon lose into the atmosphere? Let alone all the crap from the fire efforts that will end up in the streams and oceans? Putting the firemen's lives and safety at risk? Hellooooo?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun September 28th, 2008, 2:38 pm

One of my favorite books as a HSer was Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey, about a group that vandalizes equipment used for development. Lately I have seen that idea taken way out of proportion. We had a guy here a few years ago that went around burning houses under contruction. He wasn't just hurting the environment, but the families who bought those homes. I think he got eleven of them by the time he was caught.

PETA has some points - I also don't like animal research, tho I understand that for medical research that is the only way. But they don't care, its all bad to them. Like other extremist groups in all controversial subjects, its all black and white. Issues are always more complex than they know.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sun September 28th, 2008, 2:46 pm

[quote=""Ash""]PETA has some points - I also don't like animal research, tho I understand that for medical research that is the only way. But they don't care, its all bad to them. Like other extremist groups in all controversial subjects, its all black and white. Issues are always more complex than they know.[/quote]

Nobody "likes" animal research. It sucks but those same people bombing research labs will then take their beloved pets to the vet the next day hypocritically taking advantage of said medical research. It's a necessity but trust me, it's strictly controlled. You have to jump through hoops just to use animals in your work and if ANY amount of discomfort is involved then you have to jump through triple hoops. It is very tightly controlled and regulated. Besides, the % of research animals that feel discomfort is much lower than the public thinks, despite PETA propaganda!

Although it does break my heart to see rats, such loving and intelligent animals, in those tiny boring research cages. If people really want to help animals they can petition their government to include rats and mice in the Animal Welfare Act. As of today rats and mice make up 97% of research animals are not afforded the same protections as the other 3%, the cuter animals like cats, dogs, and horses. It's just not right!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Mon September 29th, 2008, 4:34 am

[quote=""1lila1""]PETA is such a wolf in sheep's clothing[/quote]

How much of an effect would having many name celebrities - Pamela Anderson being the most obvious - contribute to that? They're generally seen as "good guys" because they've got someone like her as a spokesperson. At least South Park ripped into them.

I'm all for treating animals properly, I'm all for ending chemical testing on animals (not animal research in the sense where they've taught gorilla's how to sign but the other kinds, medical excepted), but they are just deluded hypocrites.

Leyland
Bibliophile

PETA vs Spam

Post by Leyland » Wed October 15th, 2008, 7:38 pm

I've revived this thread because PETA keeps getting such ludicrous press. Please read the attached Yahoo article about the athlete who loves Spam more than anything else!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... mlb,115113

You gotta love Shannon's sense of humor - "We suspect that the cruelty in every can of Spam will infuriate Shane more than a high Hiroki Kuroda fastball," says Shannon. "If Shane likes Spam a lot, he should buy tickets to the Broadway play but leave it off his dinner plate."

I have this vision of PETA crazies running with cans of spray paint though the aisles at grocery markets and nailing the Spam displays on the shelves!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Wed October 15th, 2008, 8:01 pm

I have not had liquid milk since high school graduation in 1949.

I am still a voracious carnivore, specifically beef and Anzac lamb. We found the beef to be tastier in Brazil when we visited and lived there.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Return to “Chat”