Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Eyes in Novels

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sun November 6th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Resurrecting this to post about this article I saw which reminded me of this topic:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/h ... e-1.972150

California inventor develops new 20-second laser procedure that turns eyes blue

WANT TO turn those brown eyes blue — permanently?

A California inventor says he has developed a new 20-second laser procedure that will turn brown eyes blue, without damaging vision, for around $5,000.

Gregg Homer, founder of Stroma Medical in Laguna Beach, Calif., told the Daily News he’s already tested the irreversible cosmetic treatment on about 12 volunteers in Mexico, safely removing small patches of brown pigment from at least one eye in each subject.

The dramatic switch is possible because all brown-eyed people have blue-looking orbs under the layer of dark pigment that covers each iris, he said.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun November 6th, 2011, 6:08 pm

A California inventor says he has developed a new 20-second laser procedure that will turn brown eyes blue, without damaging vision, for around $5,000.
Kind of takes the romance out of things. I'm imagining the way the eye descriptions in novels might be revised: "Her luxuriant black hair, olive skin, and mysterious, limpid blue eyes enticed me closer. Earlier that morning, her mother had told me she was born with brown eyes, but had recently taken out a loan so she could change her eye color. It had worked ..."
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sun November 6th, 2011, 9:16 pm

LOL Margaret!

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Mon November 7th, 2011, 6:40 pm

you know, Ive always heard that rumour about all babies being born with blue eyes, but Ive always assumed they were talking about all white (European-origin or Caucazoid) babies. This rumour was never meant to apply to non-white (Negroid or Mongaloid) children, was it? I find it a bit hard to believe that black or Asian children are blue eyed underneath.

Does anybody have any experience with this? I dont even know if the blued-eyed tale is true for caucazoid children as Ive never seen reason to check it. (My daughters have always been blue-eyed like the wife)

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon November 7th, 2011, 8:55 pm

I don't think all babies are born with blue eyes but some are born with blue eyes that then turn brown later on because the pigment in the eyes hasn't always fully developed at birth - or something like that.

It can happen with hair too - my brother was blonde (and not just dirty blonde, I mean really golden blonde) until he was three. It's been dark brown ever since.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue November 8th, 2011, 9:56 am

[quote=""Mythica""]I don't think all babies are born with blue eyes but some are born with blue eyes that then turn brown later on because the pigment in the eyes hasn't always fully developed at birth - or something like that.

It can happen with hair too - my brother was blonde (and not just dirty blonde, I mean really golden blonde) until he was three. It's been dark brown ever since.[/quote]

Works the other way with hair too. My friend's niece was born with a mop of almost black hair - like her dad - then after a little while that all fell out, and ever since she's been blonde, like her mum. She kept the blue eyes though; both parents are blue-eyed so perhaps that's why they stayed that colour.
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths

Return to “Chat”