Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book tags on Amazon and elsewhere

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Book tags on Amazon and elsewhere

Post by Misfit » Thu September 25th, 2008, 1:50 pm

I'm sure someone will have the answer. Clearly Amazon wants us to tag books, i.e. historical fiction/romance, etc. but I've been asked why and I frankly don't have an answer. Why do we want to do this?

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu September 25th, 2008, 2:34 pm

The only thing I can think of is then you can do searches on the tag words and find books related to a certain subject or in a specific genre.

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Thu September 25th, 2008, 7:03 pm

I just thought it was to ease the workload on them....make us do the work. ;)

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu September 25th, 2008, 8:37 pm

I think both!

Also, does google pick up on those tags?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Thu September 25th, 2008, 8:48 pm

The main use of tags, at least on blogs, is to help you find posts that might feature the same author, or the same genre or similar topics etc.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 25th, 2008, 10:00 pm

I recall a discussion on the HF forums at Amazon and author David Blixt had joined in -- and while discussing his book he nicely asked us to tag it. I'm not sure why but it was of some importance to the author. I think they might have some to do with those if you like this you might try this rec's on Amazon.

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Thu September 25th, 2008, 10:52 pm

I think it must have to do with searches, as Tanzanite said. They've always seemed sort of useless to me, but then I don't search Amazon using the tags. Maybe other people do?
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Fri September 26th, 2008, 1:05 am

It's just another way to find books on Amazon. I wish more consumers would tag the books. Amazon's search engine is really, really bad. If you just want to find books on a topic, it's not the best finding tool - ironically!

But until more people tag products, the tags will be less useful.

LibraryThing is really the site to check out if you like tagging. It's so easy to find fiction on a particular person or event. You just search "fiction" and the person or event as tags.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Fri September 26th, 2008, 5:42 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]I think it must have to do with searches, as Tanzanite said. They've always seemed sort of useless to me, but then I don't search Amazon using the tags. Maybe other people do?[/quote]

Sometimes I do that, if I want to see if there are new writers that I don't know yet, I just type in "historical fiction" and browse through what comes up.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sun September 28th, 2008, 4:02 am

I've tagged a few books but I don't do it often. I don't use the tag feature to find books. I find most of my books through Listmania, their recommendations, or from you all!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Return to “General Discussion”