Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Raucous Royals

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

The Raucous Royals

Post by Rowan » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 1:37 pm

This morning I was browsing through Blogger blogs when I came across a now-defunct blog entitled The Raucous Royals. While I'm sad that something like this is no longer updated, it gave me the idea to come here and ask who each of you believes to be the most raucous royal you've ever encountered - either by reading or doing research for your own book.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 9:44 pm

Henry VIII was kind of a party boy in his younger days. Charles III was known for enjoying life's pleasures. I'm afraid my knowledge of royalty tends to skew towards England.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 9:45 pm

Yeah I was hoping to hear of others from the rest of Europe but no one's been inclined to respond but you. :p

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 9:58 pm

Some of the Russians were a bit off the wall (or do I mean mad?)

Apparently, whilst Peter the Great was in London he rented a house from John Evelyn and left it in a terrible state after all his partying.

Charles III -- which one?
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed August 3rd, 2011, 11:18 pm

Charles III of England, as my statement about my knowledge skewing toward England might imply.

Wasn't Louis XV of France rather amourous? Would that count as raucous?

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu August 4th, 2011, 12:13 am

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Charles III of England, as my statement about my knowledge skewing toward England might imply.[/quote]

I think you mean Charles II! Only two Charleses so far. The third one would be the current Prince of Wales if he chooses to reign using his first name...he can choose any name.

Horrible Histories - Charles II: King of Bling Video...I love it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2kyNbZc7oc
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu August 4th, 2011, 12:19 am

Ivan IV of Russia, also called 'the Terrible' probably takes the cake. Akbar the Great's grandson, Shah Jehan (of Taj Mahal fame) was very much a party boy. And let's not forget Selim II 'the Sot', who inherited the Ottoman Empire after Suleiman the Magnificent.

John II of Castile played around and let his favorite, Alvaro de Luna, run the kingdom for him. The later Hapsburg monarchs were pretty thorough idiots, too. They are the poster children on why inbreeding isn't a good idea.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu August 4th, 2011, 12:42 am

Charles II of England had at least 14 illegitimate children and had at least 7 mistresses, but no legitimate children. Among his many descendants are Alice, Duchess of Gloucester (who married one of King George V's sons), Diana, Princess of Wales; Sarah, Duchess of York; and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall.

Other English kings who were "raucous" as evidenced by illegitimate children include (number of illegitimate children after their names)

Henry I: 25
John: 12
Henry II: 12
William IV: 11 (all by the same woman)
James II: 7
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Thu August 4th, 2011, 12:42 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Wasn't Louis XV of France rather amourous? Would that count as raucous?[/quote]

According to Merriam-Webster raucous means:

1. disagreeably harsh or strident
2. boisterously disorderly

I'll leave it to you to decide if amourous falls into that definition as well.

Susan... I love that video!!!

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu August 4th, 2011, 1:36 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]Susan... I love that video!!![/quote]

Isn't it great? I think Charles II would have loved it also!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Return to “Chat”