Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mobile Phone Calls and Messages

Mara
Scribbler

Post by Mara » Thu September 25th, 2008, 6:31 pm

I don't get too many calls either. If it's my other half I'd probably phone before listening to his message but for anyone else it would be option A.

As for 'unknown' callers who withhold their numbers - I don't answer the phone to them! If it's important, they leave a message - and only then I call them back. If they don't - tough! :p

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu September 25th, 2008, 9:30 pm

I only use my mobile when I'm away from home. Rest of the time - which can be months on end it's switched off. I hate them - but sometimes they're a useful necessary evil.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 25th, 2008, 9:48 pm

As for 'unknown' callers who withhold their numbers - I don't answer the phone to them! If it's important, they leave a message - and only then I call them back. If they don't - tough!
Well I have to say as the company collector when someone drops off the face of the earth and doesn't return calls my favorite tactic is to take one of the driver's cell phones with a blocked number and lo and behold I get someone to answer the phone. I _just love_ hearing their drawers drop on the other end of the line. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do to get paid. :rolleyes: :o :)

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Fri September 26th, 2008, 1:09 am

I got a new cell and new # last month and I keep getting automated calls from a local middle school telling me that my child was absent that day. I don't have kids!!

For a year or more after I got a new cell number, I had a woman leaving VM telling me to stop chasing after her BF. :eek:

My answer is A.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri September 26th, 2008, 3:34 am

My cell phone is for emergency road use only. I have one of those plans where you pay ten cents a minute, no fees, no monthly payment, and it takes me over a year to go through what I used to pay in three months of regular service.
If anybody leaves a message on my cell, it's usually a wrong number.

Mostly I sit in front of two phone lines, so if people want to get a hold of me, they can call me on one of those.

Return to “Chat”