Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mobile Phone Calls and Messages

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Mobile Phone Calls and Messages

Post by Rowan » Wed September 24th, 2008, 5:24 pm

If you are away from your mobile, or even have it off for a period of time, and you return to discover you've received calls, yet also have voice mail messages, do you...

a. listen to the voice mail messages first, then proceed with callbacks.
b. start calling people without listening to the messages?

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed September 24th, 2008, 5:55 pm

A.
I'd like to hear what the messages are and then return calls.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Wed September 24th, 2008, 6:15 pm

Always listen to the voicemails first.

This is OT but it reminds me, I got a new cell and new # last month and I keep getting automated calls from a local middle school telling me that my child was absent that day. I don't have kids!! :confused:
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Wed September 24th, 2008, 6:20 pm

[quote=""1lila1""]This is OT but it reminds me, I got a new cell and new # last month and I keep getting automated calls from a local middle school telling me that my child was absent that day. I don't have kids!! :confused: [/quote]

My cousin has the same problem, lila. We were at her house for Gustav and she kept getting text alerts letting her know the schools were closed. She doesn't have kids either and said it's been going on since she got the number. You'd think there would be a way to contact whoever and tell them to stop calling/texting.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed September 24th, 2008, 6:27 pm

I am not a big cell phone user personally, but it is very frustrating when you take the time to leave a voice mail on a person's phone and what do they do but call up the number and say somebody called me. With 5-10 people in an office do you think everyone knows who was calling everyone else?

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Wed September 24th, 2008, 6:32 pm

My point exactly, Misfit. I'm surrounded by idiots who do option B over A.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed September 24th, 2008, 8:34 pm

I don't have the option of voice message. Well I have the option but I'm too damn cheap to pay for it. :D I pay $26.00 a month for 40 mintues and have had this plain for eh....9 years. I'm not that important to have a cel phone where everyone can call me nor do I want one. I have no kids, my brother lives in FL, my parents can typically find me and my friends get in contact with me eventually.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed September 24th, 2008, 8:46 pm

Given so few people actually call me, I tend to know their numbers so I call back. I really hate listening to message bank messages.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Thu September 25th, 2008, 4:15 am

I dont listen to messages as I dont get left them! My outgoing message says something like: Hi, sorry I cant take your call, I am probably driving or unable to come to the phone. Please dont leave a message as I cant access them! Just ring back later!

It works!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Thu September 25th, 2008, 6:04 am

I don't get many calls, I actually just have a mobile phone to be accessible for my 2 sons. If there is a voice mail message I'll listen to it first before I call back.

Return to “Chat”