Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

To blog or not to blog?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 1:53 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I've noticed that I get fewer comments on my blog now than I used to. I don't think people have stopped reading it, but more of them see my blog in places where it feeds, such as on Facebook and Goodreads, than on the actual blog site.[/quote]

One more thought, at least for me commenting on Blogger has become such a pain in the arse that I rarely do it, unless I have something I really want to say - but then I rarely comment unless I have something to say. I don't like to make some vague I've been here and commented so you'd best come over to my blog and comment kind of nonsense. Like those Amazon reviewers who vote you up and comment so you know you're supposed to reciprocate and vote them up and comment so they know you voted.

Folks are busy, and spending a lot of evening time opening up blog pages to comment takes away from reading. Commenting on Goodreads or FB feeds is a lot quicker - and again that is if I have something to say.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 2:53 am

[quote=""Susan""]Who did you intend your audience to be? Who is the audience of your blog?[/quote]

Teens. I've seen other teen blogs where there is a bigger following. I just feel like I am doing work for nothing and there is no payback. I wish I knew if people we reading. At least that would spur me on.

[quote=""Misfit""]
Folks are busy, and spending a lot of evening time opening up blog pages to comment takes away from reading. Commenting on Goodreads or FB feeds is a lot quicker - and again that is if I have something to say.[/quote]

I guess I'm a comment freak. I love it. FB isn't an option because Im a teacher and I'm not making my page public. We'll probably have one for the comic, so I dont want a third one for my blog. Goodreads isn't a place I like to visit. I feel I would get swallowed in the masses, as I am now.

I think what did it in for me was I announced Divination on my blog. I thought someone would respond. 1 person did, out of 124 people. Or maybe it was 2. I'm like wow. Really? What the hell is the point of this? And while I know its not a book, it is connected with MTV. I dunno, I guess it took the wind outta my sails and made me wonder if its all worth it.
Last edited by Divia on Tue August 2nd, 2011, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 5:06 am

I've noticed that readers aren't adding comments to blog posts as much as they used to. I think it's like Misfit says- we're all feeling a bit overwhelmed by too many communication possibilities and just can't keep up with everything.

I can see how posting and getting no responses must make a blogger feel a bit like they're just talking to themselves, though.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 5:49 am

[quote=""annis""]I can see how posting and getting no responses must make a blogger feel a bit like they're just talking to themselves, though.[/quote]

yeah. that's it. I feel like I am talking to myself. Its like hellloooo is anyone out there? :confused:

Getting everyones feedback on this topic has been great. It's made me think a lot about this subject and why I'm doing it.

At first I was all excited about it. I was wicked excited when my first publisher asked me for a review. I didn't care about numbers then. It was all for fun. But then I noticed in my third year that I didn't have as many numbers as others did. I wasn't excited about posting anymore and it felt like a chore. The only offers I got were from self published authors. I had some publishers contact me but some never sent books! I'd go weeks without posting. So, maybe in my mind it's already dead and now I just need to put the nail in the coffin. Oh well. It's sad but what can you do? My heart isn't in it and I doubt anyone will miss it.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 1:31 pm

Divia, before you give up blogging entirely, have you thought about collaborating with others? If not, allow me to share my experience with you...

One of my favourite subjects is the paranormal. I've read a lot about it and have joined a fair number of forums dedicated to the paranormal. The biggest problem with those forums is the fighting that goes on. Like religion and politics, the paranormal is a world full of extremes: you either believe everything or you believe nothing. I got tired of the bickering so I decided to leave all forums I'd joined relating to the paranormal. I tried starting my own forum for a while but that went nowhere fast. While I had the forum, though, I decided to start a companion blog, because I'd seen that done before and it seemed to work well for the other person. After a few months, though, I got rid of the forum and asked three friends with the same paranormal interests to join me in maintaining the blog.

All we do is share stories. Stories we've never heard of and some that anyone is usually familiar with. At first we weren't getting many hits, but then we realised that using the tag feature (we're on WordPress, by the way, which I find tons better than Blogger) might help us. It has because those words are what search engines like Google and Yahoo and Bing look for when they trawl the internet for search results. Our hits soared after we started using the tags.

We have about 6 dedicated followers right now, but that doesn't matter so much to us right now. What matters to me is the visitor numbers that keep going up. As of this moment of writing out my response to you, we've had 26,750 hits and we've been at this for 17 months. We keep joking that we're aiming for cult status each time we get a new follower. :D

It helps that there are four of us on the blog; the responsibility for posts is spread among four individuals rather than all on one person. We've also found a niche for ourselves: we do monthly series. They've worked quite well for us. We just finished one in July that was about ghost towns outside the US. And when we do the series, we don't necessarily post daily. I came up with the idea about ghost towns outside the US after spotting a list on MSN a few months ago. There were 8 listed so we used those 8 and each of us made two posts for the whole month. And we had daily hits over 100 almost the whole month.

What we really find funny is watching what searches draw people the most. Right now a post written about H.H. Holmes' Murder Castle in Chicago, IL is our all time top search result, but the post I did the day William and Kate got married about the ghosts of Westminster Abbey is a very close second.

So, before you give up completely, ask others who like YA books and see if they'd be willing to collaborate.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 3:19 pm

Oh, I also like the paranormal :) I tried to join a ghost hunting group, but you're right I find there are extremes. One group was easy going, which was fun. The othres had sticks up there butts with 4 hour long meetings. :rolleyes: to talk about things that could be finished in an hour!

I suppose I could open it up to other people who wanted to blog. That's always a thought. However, I'm a little nervous to see who else would take control of this blog since I'm a teacher and it is connected to my school's webpage. I can't have someone dropping the f bomb, y aknow.

:eek:

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 5:31 pm

I'm on the "if it's fun, do it" wagon. If it's draining your creative energy with little or no pay back, drop it. You're much better off concentrating your energy where your enjoy it. Life's too short to blog because "you have to!" You don't.

If you enjoy the experience, don't get discouraged by the numbers. Think of it as a creative exercise primarily for you. I have far fewer followers than you, but my blog is a bit schizo with interviews, essays, book reviews and whatever strikes my fancy. The daily hits are regular and I average 1500 hits a month. My three-part series on the "reel vs real" story of Hypatia in the movie Agora (from over a year ago) is by far my best draw. I only post 2 - 4 times a month depending on how much time I have and what inspires me. June was a total wash with the HNS conference and traveling, so I just gave stuff away. If you stay with it, definitely use the tag function!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 6:46 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I suppose I could open it up to other people who wanted to blog. That's always a thought. However, I'm a little nervous to see who else would take control of this blog since I'm a teacher and it is connected to my school's webpage. I can't have someone dropping the f bomb, y aknow.

:eek: [/quote]

What about people where you work? Other teachers who read YA? Are there any friends here who might collaborate with you? The three gals I blog with are friends I met on two different forums and we'd been friends a while before I approached them about the blog idea. They all love it as much as I do.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue August 2nd, 2011, 11:16 pm

Other teachers dont' have time. In fact the librarians I work with dont want to do it either. Many have kids, which I dont.

I think way back when I suggested doing a HF YA blog a long time ago on here but there were no biters. And I had one for a few months but it was to difficult to do two.

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Wed August 3rd, 2011, 2:58 am

Sorry, then. :(

Return to “Chat”