Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading August 2011?

Retired Threads
Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Fri August 12th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Currently reading Cornwell's Saxon Stories. Finished the first book yesterday and am starting the second today. For once, my library happens to have all the books in the series (which rarely seems to happen). I've promised myself to use the library more since it is just around the corner from my daughter's middle school.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri August 12th, 2011, 4:32 pm

I finished yesterday "Katherine the Queen: The Remarkable Life of Katherine Parr, the Last Wife of Henry VIII" by Linda Porter (366pgs, 2010)*. A well written and easy to read biography of this very interesting woman. Highly recommend.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri August 12th, 2011, 4:40 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I have just finished Neil Gaiman's Stardust - wonderful and could be read as a kind of fantasy historical.
[/quote]

I enjoyed Stardust - I liked the film, too. I also thought Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman was excellent. Mind the gap! :)
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

thalia

Post by thalia » Fri August 12th, 2011, 6:37 pm

Thank you so much for the help, I will certainly follow up the suggestions. :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri August 12th, 2011, 6:41 pm

Sometimes it's not a good idea to revisit old haunts. A while ago I thought I'd reread Angelique, and tracked a copy of the first book. Though I can see why I loved it originally, it didn't excite me the way it did when I first read it as a teenager. I guess I've moved on...

EC, I've got Forrester's Sacred Treason next up on my TBR pile. I'll expect plenty of knock-down, drag-out action, then :)
Last edited by annis on Fri August 12th, 2011, 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri August 12th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Hi Thalia

Eleanor Fairburn wrote a series of novels in the 1970s about Cecily Neville. They're probably not that easy or cheap to buy, but you could get them as interloans through your local library (assuming you don't live in England where local libraries have become an endangered species)

Shadow of the Throne series
1) Rose in Spring
2) White Rose, Dark Summer
3) The Rose at Harvest End
4) Winter Rose

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri August 12th, 2011, 7:21 pm

[quote=""annis""]Hi Thalia

Eleanor Fairburn wrote a series of novels in the 1970s about Cecily Neville. They're probably not that easy or cheap to buy, but you could get them as interloans through your local library (assuming you don't live in England where local libraries have become an endangered species)

Shadow of the Throne series
1) Rose in Spring
2) White Rose, Dark Summer
3) The Rose at Harvest End
4) Winter Rose[/quote]

I found the first three easily, and for a small price. The fourth one is very hard to find, at least in the United States. I borrowed a copy from a private library, but I've never found an online copy for sale.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Fri August 12th, 2011, 9:05 pm

[quote=""thalia""]Hello, this is my first contribution to the forum. I have picked up 'The Virgin Widow' by Anne O'Brien and realised how little I know about Anne Neville and would like to read more. Please can you recommend any other books relating the Neville family. Thanks Thalia[/quote]
Hi, Thalia! Sandra Worth has several novels involving that time period...I think 2 of them are about Richard and Anne.
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Fri August 12th, 2011, 9:07 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]I finished yesterday "Katherine the Queen: The Remarkable Life of Katherine Parr, the Last Wife of Henry VIII" by Linda Porter (366pgs, 2010)*. A well written and easy to read biography of this very interesting woman. Highly recommend.

SM[/quote]
Yes, it is a very good read! I also liked her biography of the English medieval queens. A great resource source!
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri August 12th, 2011, 11:09 pm

[quote=""thalia""]Thank you so much for the help, I will certainly follow up the suggestions. :) [/quote]

Welcome Thalia! Another suggestion (which I'm completely shocked no one mentioned yet) is Sharon Kay Penman's Sunne in Splendour. Amazing book but it is a door stopper just to warn you!

On another note, still trugging through Saints. I love the way Sharon writes, but I just do not like either Stephen or Maude so reading this book feels "eh" to me. Now I know why that was one of my least favorites of SKP. Almost done though. I wish someone would write a book about Robert and Amabel's daughter (also a Maude), the Earl of Chester's wife. Although as I'm typing this, something tells me there is a book out there.
Brenna

Return to “Archives”