Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading August 2011?

Retired Threads
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed August 3rd, 2011, 7:33 pm

Read through Sarah's Key in one sitting. Now back to watering elephants...

Berengaria
Avid Reader

Post by Berengaria » Wed August 3rd, 2011, 7:58 pm

Just finished 2 of the Vera Stanhope series by Ann Cleeves....excellent detective thrillers! have also just ordered the dvd series which is available now through Acorn online in the US and in Canada through amazon on sept 1st. highly recommended! :)
Image My 4 girls!

“No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting. She will not want new fashions nor regret the loss of expensive diversions or variety of company if she can be amused with an author in her closet.” ~Lady Montagu

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Wed August 3rd, 2011, 8:18 pm

Song of Troy by Colleen McCullough. So far, I am liking it.
Last edited by lauragill on Thu August 4th, 2011, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: na

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu August 4th, 2011, 1:14 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Should finish up To Die For by Sandra Byrd later today.[/quote]
I got an ARC of that while at the American Library Assoc. (ALA) Conference in late June.

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Thu August 4th, 2011, 2:05 am

[quote=""lauragill""]Song of Troy by Colleen McCullough. So far, I think CM could have done so much more with it.[/quote]

I haven't read that one, but I can highly recommend Helen of Troy: A Novel by Margaret George. It was a very good read.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

lauragill
Avid Reader

Post by lauragill » Thu August 4th, 2011, 2:15 am

[quote=""The Czar""]I haven't read that one, but I can highly recommend Helen of Troy: A Novel by Margaret George. It was a very good read.[/quote]

I have read George's book, and found it lacking. I posted a review below in the Reviews Section.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu August 4th, 2011, 9:04 am

Just finished An Anatomy of Ghosts, Andrew Taylor's excellent historical mystery set in 18th century Cambridge University. Intelligent, subtle, atmospheric and best of all- I never worked out who dunnit at all! And you have to love an author who has one of his characters say, 'Books are not luxuries. They are meat and drink for the mind.'

emr
Compulsive Reader

Post by emr » Thu August 4th, 2011, 9:59 am

Devoured Incubus by Carol Goodman in 2 days. (5/5)I'm still openmounted with the end and I hope she's writing the next book really fast. Very good. Much better than the overstuffed A Discovery of Witches.
Now reading The Birth of Blue Satan by Patricia Wynn. Mystery set in the 1700s. Good so far.
"So many books, so little time."
— Frank Zappa

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Thu August 4th, 2011, 11:42 am

[quote=""annis""]Just finished An Anatomy of Ghosts, Andrew Taylor's excellent historical mystery set in 18th century Cambridge University. Intelligent, subtle, atmospheric and best of all- I never worked out who dunnit at all! And you have to love an author who has one of his characters say, 'Books are not luxuries. They are meat and drink for the mind.'[/quote]

nice! I have that lying around here somewhere......

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Thu August 4th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Wow you read that fast emr! I've just got to the bit where she discovers she's at a kind of grown-up version of Hogwarts, and she's part fey. I must admit whilst I have no problem with witches, demons and vampires (the more the merrier) I tend to hedge a bit at fairies, probably too many childhood images still hanging around. Still enjoying it though and going along with it.

I also have Anatomy of Ghosts on a tbr shelf. Have you read "The American Boy" annis, which is loosely based on Edgar Allan Poe's childhood spent in London? I thought that was fabulous, beautifully written and also very atmospheric.
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths

Return to “Archives”