Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading August 2011?

Retired Threads
Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 3:03 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Just finished The American Heiress by Dorothy Eden (not the Daisy Goodwin one). Very good, and lots of surprise twists and turns.
[/quote] That one's on my book swap wishlist -- glad to hear it's good.

Currently reading The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart. Almost 1/2 way through and, so far at least, this is one of the best suspense stories I've read in a very long time in terms of having absolutely no idea how it's going to turn out. The heroine seems to be straightforward and good with no secrets (other than I can't understand why she let herself get involved in this mess she's in). But all the other characters seem to be such a dichotomy of good and bad, that I honestly can't tell who's really malevolent and who's not, and I have no idea how it will all unravel.......

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 4:43 am

Just finished The Girl King by Meg Clothier, a novel based on the girlhood of legendary 12th century Georgian queen, Tamar. Historical adventure with romance which works well in many ways- the unusual, exotic setting and atmosphere are excellent and Tamar is an appealing character, though as the story progresses she somehow becomes a figurehead, secondary to her love interest, Soslani. To me, the style and nature of this novel positively shrieks "young adult", though it is marketed as adult fiction. The tile is a bit disingenuous as the Georgian (Kartvelian) word for "monarch" was not gender specific but applied equally to either a king or a queen regnant.
Last edited by annis on Tue August 23rd, 2011, 5:32 am, edited 8 times in total.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 5:31 am

Eventually started Dorothy Dunnett's Niccolo series, having deliberately given myself a break after finishing the Lymond Chronicles. I am going to try very hard not to whizz through these too fast as I did the first series (well, I wanted to know what happened next) so I am going to try to interspere Niccolo with other books. I have the rest of the Penman Henry II and Welsh triologies to do it with -- or I might use some of the Arturo Perez-Reverte which I have been intending to try for quite a while too.

The daft thing is that I have had the Niccolo books for quite a while and they are lovely (heavy) hardbacks which are such a pain to carry to work but I discovered the local library now has them as e-books. So I am reading those. Much easier on the shoulder. Easier reading at night too because I have a back-lit e-reader for the evenings which means I can read without the light on which I quite like.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 6:02 am

Cleaned out the car today and found my copy of Cleopatra's Daughter wedged under the passenger seat--finally! I lose books often, but was enjoying this one whenever I started it (some number of months ago) and had been completely baffled as to where it might have got to. So now I am happily immersed in Rome.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 10:31 am

[quote=""Michy""]That one's on my book swap wishlist -- glad to hear it's good.

Currently reading The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart. Almost 1/2 way through and, so far at least, this is one of the best suspense stories I've read in a very long time in terms of having absolutely no idea how it's going to turn out. The heroine seems to be straightforward and good with no secrets (other than I can't understand why she let herself get involved in this mess she's in). But all the other characters seem to be such a dichotomy of good and bad, that I honestly can't tell who's really malevolent and who's not, and I have no idea how it will all unravel.......[/quote]

You should be able to ILL it, my library had a copy. The Ivy Tree sounds intriguing.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 10:47 am

Returning to the Williamsburg series by Elswyth Thane, no.4 'The Light Heart' :)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 2:35 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]You should be able to ILL it, my library had a copy. The Ivy Tree sounds intriguing.[/quote] When I finish I'll let you know. Without spoiling it, of course. :)

[quote=""LoobyG""]Returning to the Williamsburg series by Elswyth Thane, no.4 'The Light Heart' :) [/quote] I read that one a few months ago, and that was as far as I got with the series. I haven't read any further. They lost steam for me, I guess. :(

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 6:33 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Currently reading The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart. [/quote]

Is that the one that's on a similar theme to Josephine Tey's Brat Farrar? I think it is the only one of Mary Stewart's that I haven't read except for the last Arthurian one -- I'd got Arthur'd out by that stage. But it was so many years back, I couldn't swear to it. I did buy a couple of her's second-hand recently but haven't got round to re-reading them but if this weather holds out, I might catch up with a lot of reading soon. Rain, Rain, Rain - and some more what -- Oh, yes Rain -- but it is perfect for curling up on the settee with a good book.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 6:37 pm

Currently reading Firebrand (Rebel Angels) by Gillian Phillip and loving it. Myth, mind reading, late medieval/renaissance setting, a hot guy--my kind of story.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue August 23rd, 2011, 6:50 pm

Taking a little break from history to reread Eragon by Christopher Paolini before the 4th book comes out in November. It's such a nice break from sword fighting and conqueroring other lands (insert sarcasm here).
Brenna

Return to “Archives”