Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2013 edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 2:43 pm

The Summer Queen by Elizabeth Chadwick. UK release June 20, 2013.

Eleanor of Aquitaine is a twelfth-century icon who has fascinated readers for 800 years. But the real Eleanor remains elusive. This stunning novel introduces an Eleanor that all other writers have missed. Based on the most up-to-date research, it is the first novel to show Eleanor beginning her married life at 13. Barely out of childhood, this gives an entirely new slant to how Eleanor is treated by those around her. She was often the victim and her first marriage was horribly abusive. Overflowing with scandal, passion, triumph and tragedy, Eleanor's legendary story begins when her beloved father dies in the summer of 1137, and she is made to marry the young prince Louis of France. A week after the marriage she becomes a queen and her life will change beyond recognition . .

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 2:44 pm

Tarnish by Katherine Longshore. Young Adult. US release June 18th, 2013; UK release May 9, 2013

No summary yet, but it's about the teen aged Anne Boleyn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 3:31 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Shadows and Strongholds by Elizabeth Chadwick. US reissue March 5, 2013.

Ten-year-old Brunin FitzWarin is an awkward misfit in his own family. As an act of encouragement, his father sends him to be fostered as a knight in the household of Joscelin, Lord of Ludlow. Here he meets the lord's youngest daughter, Hawise, and a strong friendship is formed.
When Brunin aids his lord in supporting Prince Henry in his battle against King Stephen for the English crown, his own land comes under threat. As the war for the crown and the land rages, Brunin must defeat the shadows of his childhood and put to use all he has learned, confronting his future head on.

I love this cover![/quote]

I am so happy to see this coming out in the US again. I think this is my favorite Chadwick.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Antoine Vanner
Reader

Post by Antoine Vanner » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 5:53 pm

There was an excellent French TV series in the early 1970s which dramatised the Druon "Accursed Kings" books. It was shown on BBC television with sub-titles and there were six or eight episodes. I've never seen it since - perhaps it will became available at some stage on DVD. A particularly memorable - and sinister though attractive - character was Count Robert of Artois.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 6:09 pm

Hope they reissue the rest of the Accursed King series as well- ironically, Iron King is the one that is by far the easiest to find secondhand!

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Fri November 2nd, 2012, 9:52 pm

I have the Accursed Kings series of books. After looking for some time I managed to get the whole set for a reasonable price. But I haven't read them yet.....they are maturing like a good red wine!

Each time they show the series here in Australia I seem to find out after the first episode has been shown.

I have not been able to find a DVD release with subtitles, or a download either for that matter.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sat November 3rd, 2012, 9:29 am

I just looked at the tv guide......and SBS are showing it again starting tonight!

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed November 7th, 2012, 1:47 am

[quote=""Mythica""]This one doesn't have either a description or cover yet but since I imagine it will be popular (and the title is kind of self explanatory):

Roses Have Thorns: A Novel of Elizabeth I by Sandra Byrd
April 9, 2013[/quote]

any novels about the ancient world? How many more Tudor novels do they think we want shoved down our throat? :mad:

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed November 7th, 2012, 1:50 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Reign: The Chronicles of Queen Jezebel by Ginger Garrett. US release May 1, 2013.

From critically acclaimed author Ginger Garret comes a compelling portrait of one of the most notorious women of the Old Testament, Jezebel.

Reign is faithful to the biblical account, with startling evidence uncovered by archeologists woven into the story. From her marriage to Ahab until her death, Jezebel’s heart is unveiled—a heart capable of passion and pain, love and hate. Captivating storytelling reveals another side to a familiar story as Jezebel maneuvers through heated palace politics, pitting the goddess Asherah against Obadiah’s God, Yahweh. And it may cost her everything.

The third book in the Lost Loves of the Bible fiction series is ideally suited for historical fiction fans and anyone fascinated by the lives of biblical women. It’s as haunting as it is relevant—the story of a woman forced to choose between love and vengeance.[/quote]

I would love this! :D What are the other books in the series?

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Thu November 8th, 2012, 12:20 am

Bunker Hill by Nathaniel Philbrick. US & UK release May 23, 2013.

Nathaniel Philbrick, the bestselling author of In the Heart of the Sea and Mayflower, brings his prodigious talents to the story of the first major battle of the American Revolution.

Boston in 1775 is an island city occupied by British troops after a series of incendiary incidents by patriots who range from sober citizens to thuggish vigilantes. After the Boston Tea Party, British and American soldiers and Massachusetts residents have warily maneuvered around each other until April 19, when violence finally erupts at Lexington and Concord. In June, however, with the city cut off from supplies by a British blockade and Patriot militia poised in siege, skirmishes give way to outright war in the Battle of Bunker Hill. It would be the bloodiest battle of the Revolution to come, and the point of no return for the rebellious colonists.

Philbrick brings a fresh perspective to every aspect of the story. He finds new characters, and new facets to familiar ones. The real work of choreographing rebellion falls to a thirty-three year old physician named Joseph Warren who emerges as the on-the-ground leader of the Patriot cause and is fated to die at Bunker Hill. Others in the cast include Paul Revere, Warren’s fiancé the poet Mercy Scollay, a newly recruited George Washington, the reluctant British combatant General Thomas Gage and his more bellicose successor William Howe, who leads the three charges at Bunker Hill and presides over the claustrophobic cauldron of a city under siege as both sides play a nervy game of brinkmanship for control.

With passion and insight, Philbrick reconstructs the revolutionary landscape—geographic
and ideological—in a mesmerizing narrative of the robust, messy, blisteringly real origins of America
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion”