Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

In your TBR pile....

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed September 24th, 2008, 9:35 pm

Well, Misfit, you can always take a day off ;] I think all jobs should come with reading days.

And Telynor, I had no idea CM was writing about Jane Austen. What an interesting subject to choose given her previous books.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Wed September 24th, 2008, 9:56 pm

A sequel to Pride and Prejudice? Hmmmm. Seems like there have been a lot of Austen "sequels" lately. Whenever I hear of someone trying to write a sequel to a deceased author's work, for some reason I always think of Rhett Butler's People. er....

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed September 24th, 2008, 11:34 pm

[quote=""eclecticreader10""]I have over 75 books on my TBR list. I have them on spreadsheet in the order that I want to read them. However the one I had to go buy and move to the top of the list is The Heretic's Daughter. I just couldn't wait. I got it yesterday. I'll go back to my list when I'm done, unless, of course, something else grabs my attention.[/quote]

I have a spreadsheet as well for the same thing. I am really looking forward to Devil's Brood (of which I have an ARC). But it is going to have to go behind The Other Queen since I have to return it to the library this weekend before I go out of town. I know the reviews have not been good, but I'll at least give it a try.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 25th, 2008, 12:22 am

Well, Misfit, you can always take a day off ;] I think all jobs should come with reading days.
LOL, I actually have some vacation days I've been saving for October. Although my co-workers look at me like I should have my head examined.....
Whenever I hear of someone trying to write a sequel to a deceased author's work, for some reason I always think of Rhett Butler's People. er....
I heard that. :) :p

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Thu September 25th, 2008, 12:29 am

[quote=""Misfit""]

I heard that. :) :p [/quote]

HA! I think of you every time I see that book on the shelves over at Costco!

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Thu September 25th, 2008, 1:10 am

HA! I think of you every time I see that book on the shelves over at Costco!
Me too! Although in my case, it's Borders! ;)
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu September 25th, 2008, 2:24 am

[quote=""Telynor""]October is going to be one of those months with an embarassment of riches for books. So many new, interesting titles! So too, it looks for December with Colleen McCullough writing a -sequel- to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The mind boggles.[/quote]

She is?! Oye, there are soooo many of them!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu September 25th, 2008, 2:52 am

"The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet: A Novel" is the name of the novel, I don't know if I want to read it since Mary was the least interesting of the sisters.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu September 25th, 2008, 4:12 am

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]"The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet: A Novel" is the name of the novel, I don't know if I want to read it since Mary was the least interesting of the sisters.

SM[/quote]

I agree. But McCullough is so darn good at creating a story, I'm willing to give her a try with this one. It can't possibly be as bad as The Trials of the Honorable F. Darcy, which is one of the worst novels that I have ever tried to wade through. In any case, P&P is next up in my Jane Austen pile for a reread.

I tend to heap my TBR books by Fiction, Nonfiction, our EC, Georgette Heyer, and MMPb's, with separate piles for each one. I try awfully hard not have them get too messy, but I fear that it is a lost cause.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Thu September 25th, 2008, 4:23 am

This is so interesting to me!

I often pick loads of books in the library, with not a lot of impatience to read them. Sometimes one really catches my eye, or a fav author is in the batch, and that will move them to the top, but I then work through, returning some unread. My 'pile' is kept beside my bed, with a total of 5-8 books in it! I do have a bookshelf with my brought books on it, ones that I wont part with.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Return to “General Discussion”