Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Infirmary" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue August 9th, 2011, 8:48 am

Think I may have to read the next books, I'm intrigued by this big event/reveal! I liked Tyrion in the first book, loved his sense of humour and his constant battles over his own aversity and his family. I didn't mind Sansa but couldn't stand Arya and all her Yoda-type training which got very repetitive.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue August 9th, 2011, 12:06 pm

[quote=""ejays17""]

Brenna, did the puppy-cuddling incident happen late in the 3rd book - ([/quote]

Yes! I needed the reassurance that all was right with the world because the way Martin describes certain events and the aftermatch were almost too much.

Bec, I've already read Saints once, I'm rereading it for my Arthur-Elizabeth challenge.

I'll start the 4th book after Saints I think..maybe..maybe I'll wait and see what you all think ;)
Brenna

ejays17
Reader

Post by ejays17 » Tue August 9th, 2011, 1:10 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]ejays17--"I can possibly help with someone's confusion as to whether there was 4 or 5 books published before A Dance with Dragons."....My favourite character's Jaime.."

Thanks for the info....I have already orderd 'Dance with Dragons' which should arrive any day and I have only just started 'Fear for Crows.' What an imagination Martin has but sometimes one just feels like....boxing his ears lol. You have courage in picking Jaime.I can't say he is my favourite but he is interesting and I like how the author now has given him his own voice(chapters)so one can get a better insight into his villianous mind which at times despite himself he does do the right thing. Isn't Martin a genius when it comes to fleshing out his characters? I think so. I am also with you on Sansa I actually felt sorry for Tyrion in having to put up with her![/quote]

That's what quite a few people I speak to say - he's such a horrible person in the first book that it was a bit of a surprise for me when I worked out he was my favourite :D Like you say, I think it's an idication of a very good writer to be able to change an opionion of a character so much in the space of a book, just by being able to see insinde their head.
That being said, seeing inside Cersei's head in Feast for Crows just cemented my opionion that she's a raving nutcase... :)
Great to hear that Natalie Dormer will play Margaery. When I first started reading her character I thought 'now there's a girl who hides her fangs behind a nice smile.' I would love to see her take on Cersei.

Bec :)
I think this is a very good casting-choice! I can absolutely see her playing Margaery similar to how she was as Anne Boleyn. And it'll be good to see her facing off against Cersei too.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority." The Doctor, Wheel in Space

SLOC: Solid Lump of Comfort (from the Chalet School books by Elinor M Brent-Dyer)

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue August 9th, 2011, 4:35 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Think I may have to read the next books, I'm intrigued by this big event/reveal! I liked Tyrion in the first book, loved his sense of humour and his constant battles over his own aversity and his family. I didn't mind Sansa but couldn't stand Arya and all her Yoda-type training which got very repetitive.[/quote]

I'm about 3/4 done the second book and I really like Sansa whereas I didn't in the first book. I don't love Arya as a character but her story is interesting.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu August 11th, 2011, 2:38 am

fljustice--"Tyrion is by far my favorite character. He's so complicated, but also takes the role of "truth teller."
I think what I love about the Tyrion character is the fact that he does not varnish the truth with a nice lie, so that life would be easier for him. He tells it as it is with great wit. But also there is depth to him. He is not a clown. He has shown courage in the face of adversity, he has tried to help encourage those who also face hardships and yet despite his sarcastic wit, he truly does long for love and to be respected for who he is. He is one of my favourite characters, for his human foibles and his vulnerability which he hides behind a sharp razor like wit. Don't you just love his face offs with his evil sister Cersei.

ejays17--"he's such a horrible person in the first book that it was a bit of a surprise for me when I worked out he was my favourite Like you say, I think it's an idication of a very good writer to be able to change an opionion of a character...."

I really enjoyed the interaction between Jaime and Brienne who starts of detesting everything Jaime is and yet thru getting to know him, she begins to change her mind and yet Jaime is Jaime(the author doesn't change the characters nature)he is still ruthless when it suits him and I think he is almost bemused when he finds himself doing the right thing(for once!). It is the mark of a brilliant writer to make so many of us care about the characters.
I also agree with the Natalie Dormer casting and wasn't she a brillaint Anne Boleyn(I was just sorry she seemed to win no awards for such an outstanding performance).

Madeleine--"I didn't mind Sansa but couldn't stand Arya and all her Yoda-type training which got very repetitive..."

Sansa irritates me with her never ending quest to find a knight in shining armour and she cannot see beyond the superficial(Tyrion is her Knight). When it comes to Arya I agree and this is where the author needs to contain himself or edit himself...It is too repetitious and I tend to skim her chapters. The same with Samwell(how many times does he have to say he is a coward?!).

Brenna--"Bec, I've already read Saints once, I'm rereading it for my Arthur-Elizabeth challenge."

I read Saints too a few years ago and loved it. Sharon Kay Penman is simply an amazing author and I remember that I sat up late every evening to finish her books. They are almost un-put-downable. I am so looking forward to 'Lionheart.'

The thing that worries me now is that though I bought 'Dance with Dragons' I was a little concerned when the author says at the beginning that the novel is like a second does of FOC. In my opinion he needs to move on a little with the time period or else one month will seem like an eternity. This is the one criticism I have of his books, he goes off on plot meanderings which really doesn't need expanding(all of the Arya kidnappings for example). He has devoted long chapters to Samwell, who I think is a minor character in the story.

It would have served Martin well to have to have done a bit of ruthless pruning on his characters and story lines so as to keep the reader on a knife edge throughout the books. Let's face it, seven books of over 1,000 pages is a long read, and once I finish 'Dance with Dragons' how long will the wait be for the next installment?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Thu August 11th, 2011, 8:52 am

You've summed Tyrion up perfectly, I thought he was one of the most believable characters and one of the most human; I think he's essentially very decent, and love his sense of humour and his relationship with Bronn is great.

I can't wait to find out more about Jamie now, a work colleague has told me pretty much the same thing as you, so I'm really intrigued now!

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Thu August 11th, 2011, 1:30 pm

Oh I love Arya - yes, it seemed like one thing after another for this little girl (and I wonder if in Martin's world kids grow up much faster, because in this world I don't think this child would have survived...). I love where she is at now. The training she is getting with the 'kindly old man' melds well with her 'dancing lessons'. If the books continue and she ages a bit, she could be a force to be reckoned with.

I also loved the section in Dragons with Bran. It made me mad that he was so close to Jon but didn't connect with him, but where he is now and what he is doing - well, its got this fantasy reader inthralled. Mmm, a shape changer with a sister like Arya: that could be a very interesting team of siblings

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri August 12th, 2011, 2:16 am

Madeleine--"I can't wait to find out more about Jamie now, a work colleague has told me pretty much the same thing as you, so I'm really intrigued now!"

I have to admit I do find villains intriguing and Martin has the ability to completely unsettle the reader. You start by hating the character and then Martin up-ends everything by giving Jaime his own chapters and you read why and how things came to be. But the author keeps the integrity of the character as he is. He does not white-wash Jaime in order to make him more palatable to the reader. But I had the distinct feeling by the end of Storm of Swords that perhaps Jaime was beginning to wake up to his sister's evil machinations...Now whether he will join her is what keeps the reader going...One simply has to find out!

Ash--"I love Arya - yes, it seemed like one thing after another for this little girl..."...I also loved the section in Dragons with Bran..."

I like Arya's ability to survive against all odds and her fighting spirit but my one criticism of the author is that she goes from one escapade to another without realing resolving anything. I would love to see the character grow in age and to see the woman she will become instead of this little girl who is tossed from pillar to post...Starts in one direction then ends up going another. I would love to see her become like a warrrior fighter and take on all comers....Martin needs to move the plot along and let her grow up. But as it is I do skim her chapters because it is basically the same thing different kidnapper.

As a reader I also find Daenerys boring. I skim past her chapters too. I don't know why I simply cannot get into her story. The character I would like to read about is Margaery and Brienne. I have not started Dragons yet-I just read the prologue which had me scratching my head as he seems to have not moved the story along very far(or perhaps I misunderstood the author). In my opinion I think it is time some of the characters begin to age and grow up into formidable people...won't that be interesting?

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri August 12th, 2011, 11:17 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]Madeleine--"

As a reader I also find Daenerys boring. I skim past her chapters too. I don't know why I simply cannot get into her story. The character I would like to read about is Margaery and Brienne. I have not started Dragons yet-I just read the prologue which had me scratching my head as he seems to have not moved the story along very far(or perhaps I misunderstood the author). In my opinion I think it is time some of the characters begin to age and grow up into formidable people...won't that be interesting?

Bec :) [/quote]

I skip over Dany's storyline completely. I figure I'll learn more about her through the TV series. I never connected with her and her story is so disconnected from the rest of the story. Plus, her obsession with the dragons are a bit much.

I think you may have misunderstood the author. Dragons and Crows overlap in stories, so you're right, the story hasn't moved along very far at all! ;)
Brenna

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat August 13th, 2011, 3:09 am

When it comes to Dany I am with you. I have not been able to connect with her character at all and I simply found her story line to unbelievable...and also the whole dragon thing zzzzz :D ...But I suppose its different courses for different horses(I hope I have the saying right :p ..I always get them fuddled up).

When it comes to the books I do wish Martin would move it along. It would be amazing to read how the characters develop once they are older. I would love to read how Arya develops and if Sansa gains in maturity and what happens with Jon Snow. But as I read Feast for Crows I really am missing Tyrion, but am enjoying the Brienne chapters. As for Cersei she may become her own worst enemy...one can hope :D .

I am now reading at a slower pace in the hope that the next installment after Dragons will be on the shelves sometime next year.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”