Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 9th, 2012, 11:33 am

I think Mythica sums it up perfectly; I must admit I read a spoiler before I got to that part of the book, so knew what was coming and suspected what had really happened. I get the impression that Theon is desperate, probably on the verge of some sort of breakdown, which is why he did what he did.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon April 9th, 2012, 4:24 pm

I'm actually extremely surpised and proud of myself because it's been almost a year since the 5th book was released and I haven't read one spoiler! Not sure how this happened but I'm hoping I can stick to that until the 5th book comes out in paperback (still a little bitter about that).
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon April 9th, 2012, 4:46 pm

I'm desperately trying to avoid spoilers for the 3rd book, so don't anyone dare let anything slip! In fact, even reading the blurb on the back cover of these books can give things away, so I'm scared to even look at them now.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon April 9th, 2012, 5:06 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I'm desperately trying to avoid spoilers for the 3rd book, so don't anyone dare let anything slip! In fact, even reading the blurb on the back cover of these books can give things away, so I'm scared to even look at them now.[/quote]

Do avoid spoilers for the third book. My husband is reading it now and I can't wait to talk to him about things that happen.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon April 9th, 2012, 8:27 pm

[quote=""laktor""]So now, is Book 3, Storm of Swords, the best book in the series so far? What's your opinion? It's next for me to read, but I'm thinking of taking a break to read a couple of other books, one historical novel and one non-fiction.[/quote]

The third book is definitely my favorite so far. The fourth, Feast for Crows, is my least favorite, though I still loved it.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue April 10th, 2012, 1:15 am

I have to admit I also found it confusing when I first read GOT. The first book was fine and it was what drew me in.....But the sequels at times left me very confused, but the ladies here helped sort things out, and I persevered, thankfully.

Now I wait till tonight for GOT S 2 :D ...YAY! So there Brenna! Blows raspberries :p :p at everyone who has already watched it. :D

Bec :)

Village
Scribbler

Post by Village » Tue April 10th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Loved the first book, liked all the others but in ever decreasing amounts. The writing is still good but there's that horrible creeping feeling that too many plates are now spinning and at current run-rate will George ever actually finish the series. ADWD took forever and now he has the HBO commitments to draw further on his time.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue April 10th, 2012, 4:48 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]I'm hoping I can stick to that until the 5th book comes out in paperback (still a little bitter about that).[/quote]

Still holding out for the 5th book in paperback, myself, because (I'm assuming) it has my favorite character in it. Was really pi**ed when I read the whole Feast of Crows and it didn't have Tyrion!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue April 10th, 2012, 6:44 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Still holding out for the 5th book in paperback, myself, because (I'm assuming) it has my favorite character in it. Was really pi**ed when I read the whole Feast of Crows and it didn't have Tyrion![/quote]

I was forewarned about that so I didn't mind it so much. My SIL has read Dance with Dragons and confirmed Tyrion's story is told in it, picking up where the third book, Storm of Swords, left off.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed April 11th, 2012, 12:58 am

Theon talks and thinks as if
Is he delusional or what?
Theon never was the brightest bulb in the pack, he might not be delusional, but honestly doesn't know what he did or what his words or actions may have lead to. But then,
so his delusion may have been several books back.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”