Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Sun April 8th, 2012, 12:56 am

[quote=""Ash""]Its not a dream. But its not what you think. Have patience.[/quote]

How much patience can I have? I've finally finished Clash of Kings, and I'm really
disappointed. I'm still confused. There was no answer given to my question, if any of you recall what that was (it was erased because of the spoilers...again, sorry). But can anyone tell me if the answer will be given early on in the next book? I thought for sure, I'd get some answers by the end, but I guess not. That is very disappointing to me. IMO, terrible writing by the author. Feel free to PM me, if you're concerned about spoiling things for those who haven't gotten this far as yet.
Last edited by laktor on Sun April 8th, 2012, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun April 8th, 2012, 10:33 am

Was the question to do with Bran and friends? If so, the question is answered at the end of Clash of Kings.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Strings of Murder" by Oscar de Muriel
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun April 8th, 2012, 11:55 am

Yep it's in the book, in fact I suspected what had really happened
Currently reading: "The Strings of Murder" by Oscar de Muriel

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Sun April 8th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Thanks Madeleine and Vanessa, but I still think the author did a crap job because I still am not clear on what you've said. By the way, can someone tell me how to put the spoiler link on here???? (Thanks). Since I don't know how to do that, I will PM both of you.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun April 8th, 2012, 7:48 pm

You were meant to think that
. Its a device often used by authors, esp in mysteries. Luwin is very explicit about it, so I am not sure what the confusion is. (btw its not the difference in clothes,
Re how to do a spoiler: Its very tiny and hard to see, but at the top of the post box is a line of links. At the far right is a box that if you look very closely says Spoiler. Type what you want, highlight the part you want to hide, and click on that box. Voila!

Actually I was much more upset by what happened earlier, and was totally blown out of the water by it. Almost stopped me from reading any more of him after that. But Im glad I did. His books may be over written, but I have to admit they are page turners and while sometimes frustrated, I am usually not bored.

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Sun April 8th, 2012, 8:56 pm

Ash,
As it is, I was really let down at the end of this book.

Oh, and thanks for telling me how to hide spoilers!
Last edited by laktor on Sun April 8th, 2012, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sun April 8th, 2012, 10:25 pm

[quote=""laktor""]Ash,
As it is, I was really let down at the end of this book.

Oh, and thanks for telling me how to hide spoilers![/quote]

So there are small clues that a lot of people may not pick up on the first time but in retrospect, you can look back and see that Theon does give the reader clues to what happened and personally, I think it shows a more sophisticated writing ability. It's easy for an author to spell everything out but as a reader, I like things which are a bit more challenging than that. I don't think everything always has to be clearly spelled out immediately. Especially if you don't look at the upcoming chapter names, you may not be as confused. They can be like little spoilers themselves so I don't look at them.

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Mon April 9th, 2012, 4:09 am

So now, is Book 3, Storm of Swords, the best book in the series so far? What's your opinion? It's next for me to read, but I'm thinking of taking a break to read a couple of other books, one historical novel and one non-fiction.

laktor
Reader

Post by laktor » Mon April 9th, 2012, 4:12 am

[quote=""Mythica""]
I think it shows a more sophisticated writing ability. It's easy for an author to spell everything out but as a reader, I like things which are a bit more challenging than that. I don't think everything always has to be clearly spelled out immediately. Especially if you don't look at the upcoming chapter names, you may not be as confused. They can be like little spoilers themselves so I don't look at them.[/quote]

Maybe, but it would have made for one hell of a chapter, and a terrific read!!!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon April 9th, 2012, 10:16 am

I think a lot of things will be revealed in Storm of Swords. I think the author has left quite a lot on a cliffhanger, just so the reader feels compelled to keep on reading! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Historical Fantasy”