Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu July 21st, 2011, 1:50 pm

I have a question: Were Ravens or any other birds for that matter used during the Middle Ages or before to send information? I didn't think Ravens could be used that way and how do they know where to fly or to whom?
Brenna

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri July 22nd, 2011, 2:12 am

[quote=""Ash""]You might not mind it now. Come back after the third book and tell me how you feel about it - just saying :) Glad you're feeling better![/quote]

Oh no! I do have ONE major favourite character in the book-Jon Snow...pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee don't kill off Jon(lol). But seriously what an imagination George Martin has and to be able to keep the story going through book after book. I find that amazing.

I am also enjoying the TV show but may wait until I can buy the DVD. That way I can watch two episodes a night rather than have to wait an entire week to find out what happens. Yes, you guessed it I am incredibly impatient. :D

Bec :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri July 22nd, 2011, 10:09 pm

Posted by Brenna
I have a question: Were Ravens or any other birds for that matter used during the Middle Ages or before to send information? I didn't think Ravens could be used that way and how do they know where to fly or to whom?
I think in reality pigeons and swallows were most likely to be used as messenger birds, but there is a long tradition in fantasy fiction of ravens and/or crows being used as messengers. This probably springs from the significance ravens have in myth and legend. The Norse sagas depict the god Odin as having two ravens, Hugin (Thought) and Munin (Memory) who act as his messengers and bring him information from all round the world http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huginn_and_Muninn, and ravens are also prominent in Celtic mythology http://www.avesnoir.com/2010/03/ravens- ... mythology/
Last edited by annis on Fri July 22nd, 2011, 10:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri July 22nd, 2011, 11:59 pm

I agree - also ravens are very intelligent birds; it would be easy to imagine they'd be able to do this.

Carrier pigeons were used quite a bit for carrying messages, till they were killed off after WWI.

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Sun July 24th, 2011, 5:30 pm

There was quite a funny film - of course I don't remember the title or the star!- but it was all about an undercover American agent in World War II, in Rome, sending information back to base by carrier pigeon. The local Italians were having a wedding, needed something for the wedding feast, and ate the pigeons. Then, to conceal what they had done from the American, they stole pigeons from the German troops to replace the American pigeons. Of course, all the agent's messages were now going straight into the hands of the Germans....
"There were no full time Vikings back then. Everybody had another job."
Neil Gaiman, from Odd and the Frost Giants.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon July 25th, 2011, 12:20 pm

Ok so I finished book 2 last night and wow! I was getting frustrated because I wasn't really getting into it; then I realized Martin was just building the story up for the laste 200 pages. I finished at midnight last night (and brought the third one to work-shhh don't tell anyone :D )
Brenna

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon July 25th, 2011, 5:40 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Ok so I finished book 2 last night and wow! I was getting frustrated because I wasn't really getting into it; then I realized Martin was just building the story up for the laste 200 pages. I finished at midnight last night (and brought the third one to work-shhh don't tell anyone :D )[/quote]

I don't know how you read so fast! I thought I did pretty well to finish the first book in less than 2 weeks - I taking a few day breather before starting the second book. I'm a little worried reading ahead will ruin the TV show though...

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue July 26th, 2011, 4:23 am

[quote=""Brenna""]Ok so I finished book 2 last night and wow! I was getting frustrated because I wasn't really getting into it; then I realized Martin was just building the story up for the laste 200 pages. I finished at midnight last night (and brought the third one to work-shhh don't tell anyone :D )[/quote]

I thought it was just me in that I loved the first book but found difficulty in the second, it didn't read as smooth but I am only half way thru it and hope to finish it by the weekend. Then on to book 3 :D

Bec :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue July 26th, 2011, 3:29 pm

[quote=""Mythica""]I don't know how you read so fast! I thought I did pretty well to finish the first book in less than 2 weeks - I taking a few day breather before starting the second book. I'm a little worried reading ahead will ruin the TV show though...[/quote]

Well this weekend it was 115 degrees outside with the heat index and I have horrible asthma, so staying indoors was the only option. Hence, lots of reading time! Plus, there is nothing good on TV, so when I come home, I open a book.

The only reason I'm not worried about the 2nd book ruining the show is that I know I won't remember enough by the time I get to watch the HBO series. Plus, I only glance over Danery's storyline as I don't really like it. Although it is starting to get some depth to it in the 3rd book.

I'm only 150+ pages into the 3rd book, but I'm already starting to wonder how Martin plans to get the Starks out of all of the jams he has put them in! A lot of loose ends hanging out there he will have to bring together!
Brenna

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Wed July 27th, 2011, 12:59 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]
The only reason I'm not worried about the 2nd book ruining the show is that I know I won't remember enough by the time I get to watch the HBO series. [/quote]

LOL my husband is like that but my memory is a bit better - it takes years for the details of a good story to fade in my mind.

I have been hearing a lot about the heat wave in the US right now - in England, a heat wave is when it gets above 80, lol. I don't think the English can comprehend it getting above 100. It reminds me of Michael McIntyre's joke in his book about how in England a heat wave is "two hot days in a row", a mini heat wave is one hot day and a "micro" heat wave is when the sun comes out between two clouds.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”