Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed September 14th, 2011, 4:48 pm

I think Ludmilla meant that if you view the site on a mobile device, like a phone or iPad, you can't easily highlight the white text to see what is missing, so you might assume something was left out instead of just coloured differently.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed September 14th, 2011, 5:09 pm

Yes, that's what I meant and no worries, Brenna. I sounded crankier than I meant to come off. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to remind people we have the spoiler tag in the message tool bar for this site now. Here's the thread that announced the use of them:

http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... ht=spoiler

Back on topic, I think of the series more as epic fantasy, but I think the historical fantasy label is often used to direct people who enjoy that particular type of fantasy to the series.

Re the Mongol culture, I think Martin has done a lot of borrowing and modifying of elements from various cultures in this series. Did the Mongols wear bells in their hair? I remember reading about a SW-American Indian girl in Scott O'Dell's The King's Fifth who wore bells in her hair. I wondered if Martin was inspired by that particular culture.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed September 14th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Not that I know of, but the wearing of bells could just easily be something he added to make them his own creation.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed September 14th, 2011, 7:00 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]Yes, that's what I meant and no worries, Brenna. I sounded crankier than I meant to come off. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to remind people we have the spoiler tag in the message tool bar for this site now. Here's the thread that announced the use of them:

http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... ht=spoiler

[/quote]

You didn't sound cranky at all! There was a forum on goodreads about these books where people were cussing and being generally rude because they thought people were leaking spoilers on purpose. I just didn't want that to happen!!

I feel dumb, but I never saw the "spoiler" button in the toolbar section until you said something!! :( I will use it for now on!
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Comforts of Home" by Susan Hill
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed September 14th, 2011, 7:26 pm

I can never remember how to do spoilers and quite often I just pop onto the board during a few idle moments at work, so typing in white is a kind of quick fix! Apologies for any unintentional revelations.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu September 15th, 2011, 4:17 am

Brenna--"My father in law called last night to inform me he finished the first four books and asked if he should even bother reading the 5th book. I told him I had stopped after book 3.....I can't really skip book 4 though, can I?..."

I think for sanity's sake the reader of these books do need to take a break. I did after finishing book 3 the ending of that book was so explosive that I needed time out with a lighter book. Sorry Brenna you really cannot miss the 4th book, but I do tend to skim over the chapters of characters that dont interest me. And yes in book 5 there is a revelation(of the good kind :D ) and not so good :( .

Rowan--"But why does killing off one's main characters (of which there are an endless number it seems) make Martin such a brilliant writer?..'

What I love about Martin is his wonderful imagination in creating this world and such wonderful characters as Ned & Catelyn, Jon Snow, Tyrion, Arya, Brienne...and the memorable villains as Cersei, Jaime, Lord Tywin, Littlefinger etc....I also think Martin shows his courage by killing off some of his characters(with the belief that many readers will become attached to them), he is continually throwing his readers into a loop and yet I for one cannot stop reading even when I may feel enraged at the author! But that is not so say he is without criticism as I have written in previous posts. There are times where the plot meanders as characters seem to be simply treading water and the invention of new characters who have no real meaning to the story, entire. But still I will read on....Once he decides to finish 'Winds of Winter.' I also feel strongly that the books should have been completed in four large volumes. I doubt I will ever read this type of book again until the author has completed them. It is simply too frustrating to have to wait years for a conclusion.
sweetpotatoboy explains all your questions far better than me and I agree with his observations.

I am also with Madeleine in that I have no idea how to white out or use the spoiler thingy so I try and NOT give out spoilers...I simply tease the reader and urge them to persevere for it is worth it in the end. I say this with the knowledge that I am not known for my patience.

Wow bit of a long post but all I can say is...READ on....

Bec :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu September 15th, 2011, 8:37 am

There's a spoiler icon at the top of the messages (immediately above here) - bottom row at the right-hand side. I imagine you have to highlight what you've typed and then click on it.
Yes, I think that's worked!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu September 15th, 2011, 8:55 am

Maybe I'm being really really dense, but I can't find the spoiler icon?

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Thu September 15th, 2011, 10:02 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]Maybe I'm being really really dense, but I can't find the spoiler icon?[/quote]

It's not available on the "quick reply" - if that's what you're using. On the full reply, it's along the top, second row where it has the buttons for: bold, italic, underline, paragraph orientation, bullet points, indents, etc... all the way at the end of that row is a little button that says "Spoiler".

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu September 15th, 2011, 10:21 am

[quote=""Mythica""]It's not available on the "quick reply" - if that's what you're using. On the full reply, it's along the top, second row where it has the buttons for: bold, italic, underline, paragraph orientation, bullet points, indents, etc... all the way at the end of that row is a little button that says "Spoiler".[/quote]

Ah that would be it ;) I've found it now, thank you Mythica! :D

Return to “Historical Fantasy”