Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu September 8th, 2011, 8:45 am

Ooooh, you must read Lord of the Rings, Bec! It's a brilliant book. And that Aragorn................. my first crush on a book character!! :o :p LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Thu September 8th, 2011, 8:57 am

I think GofTis a much easier read than LotR; part of it is just due to writing styles - Tolkine has perhaps dated somewhat but I did find the 3rd book especially a bit heavygping, but still readable. I agree about Aragorn though, although I expect his film portrayal has a lot to do with it too, but he's a great character, a true hero who isn't afraid to admit he might not be up to the job but does his best anyway.

I think maybe for the later books George Martin needs a good editor. I found all the different storylines in GofT difficult to follow until I got to know everyone, so goodness knows what it'll be like when even more characters come into the story. But his scope and imagination are amazing.
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu September 8th, 2011, 10:31 am

I read Lord of the Rings many years ago, long before the film adaptations. So, even though Viggo Mortensen was an excellent Aragorn, I already had a bit of 'a thing' for him.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Thu September 8th, 2011, 6:33 pm

After Robert Jordan (which I started as a sophomore in high school, and had two degrees by the time it was finished) and this series, I have made a vow to never start a fantasy series until it is finished. It infuriates me to get to a cliffhanger and have a three year wait for the next installment.

These books are really really good though.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu September 8th, 2011, 6:43 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I read Lord of the Rings many years ago, long before the film adaptations. So, even though Viggo Mortensen was an excellent Aragorn, I already had a bit of 'a thing' for him.[/quote]

Yeah, so did I. Great books. I had a bit of 'a thing' for Faramir.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu September 8th, 2011, 7:06 pm

I'm with you, Nefret. Faramir was hot. Although if I had had a mental picture of Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn when I first read the books, he might have trumped Faramir.

I am beginning to think I'll have to read Game of Thrones. I'm just afraid to get sucked into a series this long--I can get addicted, and then I don't come up for air and everything else gets neglected. The last time was the Lymond books, and they seriously messed up my schedule.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri September 9th, 2011, 1:34 am

Vanessa--"Ooooh, you must read Lord of the Rings, Bec! It's a brilliant book. And that Aragorn................. my first crush...."

I have the BIG book of LOTR I just never got around to reading it. Would you believe I was put off by the size of the book(now I wonder why when Martins books are thousand pages each and I am on number 5 :p :D )lol. But now that I have nearly finished DWD I am seriously thinking of starting LOTR and at least the book will reach a conclusion and I wont have to wait years. I loved the movies of LOTR....Viggo Mortensen was truly an inspired choice.

The Czar--"have made a vow to never start a fantasy series until it is finished. It infuriates me to get to a cliffhanger...."

I am thinking that way myself. I am now on the last few chapters of DWD and the thought of having to wait years for a conclusion is frustrating to say the least. The next fantasy books I read will be all written with a conclusion at the end and hopefully they'll be trilogies.

MLE--"The last time was the Lymond books, and they seriously messed up my schedule..."

After watching the book show and hearing some of the authors talk about the Lymond books I bought them at Amazon. What's the problem you may ask?...I simply don't understand them :confused: ...Is there some sort of code to understanding Dunnets books? It is the same with 'Wolf Hall' many rave about it but I can't understand the book and I have re-read the thing 3 times! So when it comes to Dunnett I am totally clueless.

It is so sad to reach the end of DWD and know I have years to wait :( ....!! Hurry up Martin!

Bec :)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri September 9th, 2011, 3:17 am

Bec, the secret to the Lymond series is getting through the first one. DD grows on you. The only reason I stuck with Game of Kings was because it was the favorite of an agent I had chatted with at a conference, so I wanted to see what might ring her bell. Although I doubt anybody would publish her now if she was an unknown. Too darn hard to figure out.

About half-way through -- or maybe two-thirds -- enough threads came together to begin to make sense. And from there on, it's a downhill slide, despite the wildly improbable personality switches of her characters.

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat September 10th, 2011, 3:04 am

Thanks MLE :)

I have to admit when I first started to read the first book I was totally nonplussed and wondered if I was particularly stupid or if those who had raved about it had some sort of inner code that could sort out DD's plot lines.

I will admit that I am impatient and I tend to veer away from what I call 'headache books' where you have to concentrate so hard on almost every word that you end up with a headache :D lol.

I have kept them so maybe one day I will give it another try but right now I have dozens of books on my TBR list...I will get through them first.

I have now finished Dance With Dragons and the thought of waiting years to find out about one of my fave characters is disheartening...Sometimes I could throw rotten eggs at Martin :p ;) :D ...How dare he love the book with sucn a cliff hanger!Ackkkk :eek:

Bec :)

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat September 10th, 2011, 12:30 pm

[quote=""MLE""]I'm with you, Nefret. Faramir was hot. Although if I had had a mental picture of Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn when I first read the books, he might have trumped Faramir.

I am beginning to think I'll have to read Game of Thrones. I'm just afraid to get sucked into a series this long--I can get addicted, and then I don't come up for air and everything else gets neglected. The last time was the Lymond books, and they seriously messed up my schedule.[/quote]

My husband worked in the film industry (in distribution) and he had access to movie posters. He was going to put up two movie posters in the dining room and had decided upon "Kill Bill" and one other that I can't recall. I insisted he put up a poster from one of the LOTR films with Viggo Mortensen on it!

Earlier this year I read all the published books of the Outlander series. Now I have started the Game of Thrones, but I have decided to alternate those books with other books. At least, that's what I am thinking now...let's see if I can resist not going on to the next Game of Thrones book. I do have to admit that if the eighth Outlander book had been available, I probably would have jumped right into it.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Return to “Historical Fantasy”