Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Princes and peasants, which ancestors are you most conflicted about?

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun July 17th, 2011, 7:30 am

I only really noticed because of this thread but I was watching Stephen Fry on QI last night (it's one of those things you do when you are really too tired to read) and he came up with the information that everyone who is European is descended from Charlemagne.

I think it is one of those mathematical constructs revolving around the fact that there are so many people alive today and so few in the early centuries that it is inevitable. I actually don't understand the maths involved and don't intend to get snared into spending time getting to understand it but I do see where the theory is coming from.

I did read a couple of Cavalli-Sforza's books about tracing DNA a few years ago when I was interested in paleo-anthropology ("The Great Human Diaspora", etc etc) and I know from that that the earliest female common ancestor is a lot further back that the earliest common ancestor for the male.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon July 18th, 2011, 12:15 am

I went on familysearch.org last night and tried tracing my father's family. Unfortunately not much info was available. I intend to keep trying though. We know the name is Swiss-German and one line came over from Scotland. There are some English names in the middle as well and an undocumented claim of Chippewa/Ojibwa blood somewhere in the mix. That's just my Dad's side.

On Mom's there Irish, English, Scottish, German, Luxemburger, Osage (we think that's the right tribe) and possibly French Norman. The most interesting line in this is the Richard Warren one. No one officially knows where the heck he came from (other than London) but years ago there was talk about his being descended from William the Conqueror through his daughter Gundred/Gundreda/Gungreda/Gundrada who may have only been a step-daughter. The whole thing is sketchy but fun to imagine it. I actually found info on Richard's wife's family last night. I've identified a brother and possibly sister through their marriage records. Apparently there was a whole cluster of Walkers in Great Amwell.

Maybe someday I can actually go to England and do some looking. I'm sure there's more in the records than what is available online.

Mom had a subscription to Ancestry.com for a while. She gets bogged down in the Browns around the mid 18th century. That name is just too common. Especially when paired with William or Hugh. I wish my ancestors had been a bit more creative in naming their children.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon July 18th, 2011, 12:17 am

P.S. as to the potential class debates...

One of my father's favorite things to do when Mom gets on a Mayflower kick is bring up his Native American heritage by saying "Yeah, well when your ancestors got off the boat, mine were there to meet them." :D

Return to “Chat”