Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory

amyb
Reader

The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory

Post by amyb » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 8:18 pm

I have to say it: I felt like the Little Engine that could while reading this book..."I think I can, I think I can"...finish it book that is!

Like most in my Historical Fiction world I have been eagerly anticipating Philippa Gregory's newest release The Other Queen, but I admit I picked this book up at the store with a little hesitation. While, I was interested to read Gregory's view point on Mary Stewart I knew it wouldn't measure up to other novels I have read on her.

Also, like most others, The Other Boleyn Girl, was my initiation into historical fiction and I will love Philippa Gregory forever for that. At the beginning of my historical fiction "learnings" I would read reviews and not understand why people weren't all that impressed with Gregory's writing, but that has since changed. After reading the likes of Sharon Kay Penman, Elizabeth Chadwick and Jean Plaidy how could it not?

The Other Queen tells the story of Mary, Queen of Scots during the time of her imprisonment with George & Bess Shrewsbury. It is told from 3 different points of view; Mary, Queen of Scots, Bess and George. A lot of people seem to have an issue with so many view points, but I don't have an issue with it (yet). Mary Stewart is a very interesting woman with a very interesting role in history, but you wouldn't get that from reading this book. The action is pretty much non-existent. And goodness, the repitition....yes, we know Bess raised her self up from nothing, yes we know that George is an honest man and yes Mary is a stunningly, beautiful woman and a Queen that must be free. Good lord, could one more man fall in love with her instantly?!

Bottom line...not too bad of a read for someone not totally dedicated to the Historical Fiction genre. My hope is that this book will serve as an "initiation" for someone else and we can bring more recruits over to the wonderful world of Historical Fiction!

Overall: 3/5

Song: "Mary, Mary" by Run DMC (Why ya buggin') :D

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 8:39 pm

You were kind in giving it 3 stars, for I cannot. I just think the story lacks something. A novel from Mary's life before imprisonment would have been so much more interesting.

Or maybe its becuase PG opened the doorway for me into HF and now I have found so many other authors that I just dont dig her stuff anymore. The only book of hers that has blown me away is BI. All others are Eh. Before I raced to the bookstore to buy the books, now I get them from the library. Maybe I've outgrown her stuff.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 8:49 pm

Maybe I've outgrown her stuff.

Maybe that's it, although I doubt it. Mary is boring enough as it is, and then PG picks the most boring part of her life? She'd have been better off dealing with the Darnley and Bothwell period of her life than this.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 10:38 pm

So the question remains why would she do such a book and why would her publisher think it was an OK subject to do?

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 11:51 pm

My guess is that when you become as big as PG, your publishing house doesn't tell you what to write. You tell them what you're going to write, and everyone says, "GREAT!"
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

cookie
Scribbler

Post by cookie » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 2:30 am

[quote=""Divia""]You were kind in giving it 3 stars, for I cannot. I just think the story lacks something. A novel from Mary's life before imprisonment would have been so much more interesting.

[/quote]

I agree. I would barely give it 1 out of 5.
Beats me why people are looking forward to reading it - I've been saying for months how boring it was.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 2:42 am

Well, some people dont always agree with reviews. One persons dull book is another persons exciting edge of the seat book.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 6:12 am

Although I have enjoyed some earlier work from PG, I think I'm going to skip this one. I already thought there were a little bit too many repeats in the Boleyn Inheritance with the different POV. Although I am very interested in MQoS life, but I think I'll try to find another book about her. There are too many bad reviews on PG's book.

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 6:50 am

The different PoV are fine with me. Its the book in general! There seems to be no oomph to it. MQoS life may have been not so interesting, but as an author PG could have injected some life to it without changing facts. I have just read the part where she is trying to escape down the castle walls, her maid has fallen breaking her back. I nearly fell asleep. This escape could have had more impact.

I am sorry that this novel will not reach its conclusion for me,(I will return it to the library before its end,) like others PG introduced me to HF.
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 2:41 pm

I just wandered over to PG's member forums and it's not all warm and fuzzy over there either.

Return to “By Author's Last Name G-L”