Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Where History Hides

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Where History Hides

Post by Rowan » Mon July 11th, 2011, 2:09 pm

Anyone else besides me not know that the video game Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood has some historical elements in it? It is described as a historical third person, stealth action-adventure game.

Apparently while playing the game, you're "transported" back in time to the period in Italian history when the Borgias were in power.

I wonder how many people play this game and know some of it is based on real individuals. The game's rating is M, so only older teens and young adults would know the details of the game, but do you think if they knew that some of the characters in the game are based on real people that it would make them want to investigate more?

I also noticed in the game that I play (World of Warcraft) there are non-player characters which are called huscarls. These characters resemble Norsemen.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon July 11th, 2011, 9:52 pm

I'm not into these types of games so I had no idea about this.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Mon July 11th, 2011, 10:20 pm

Ok.....I'll admit to having played right through Assassin's Creed I. I am not a big gamer but I enjoyed that. And I have started Assassin's Creed II, though not done much of it yet. Like the historical settings.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Tue July 12th, 2011, 1:05 pm

And there are now three historical novels based on it by Oliver Bowden.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue July 12th, 2011, 6:01 pm

My gaming vice has always been Civilization. It's addictive and I've stayed up way too late, too many times, to lead my people from the Bronze Age to Alpha Centauri. More sociology than history in those games. I haven't loaded it on my new computer, so I won't be tempted!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Chat”