Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Merlin

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Merlin

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sun September 21st, 2008, 5:04 pm

[quote=""Mara""]However, I was watching the first episode of a new series called 'Merlin' last night. Aimed at kids (with no knowledge of history), I laughed so much in places that I'm not sure I'll be punishing myself again by watching another episode. Poor old Arthur...[/quote]

I thought it was quite fun actually. (Much better than the plodding Robin Hood.) Yes, you could pick all sorts of holes in it historically. But then, it's not meant to be a historical take on the story (what with the magic, witches and dragon). And the plots had all other holes in it apart from historical ones (e.g. why would Merlin's mother, wishing to protect him from those who are antagonistic to his magic, send him away specifically to the place where practising of magic is punishable by death?).

But, as family-oriented fun, I thought it worked quite well and am prepared to see how it pans out.

And I kind of like that they've been inventive with the story, thrown it all up in the air and come up with a distinctive take. It'll never be a definitive Arthurian retelling - but then I don't think it's trying to be that, just an entertaining Saturday evening show.

Mara
Scribbler

Post by Mara » Sun September 21st, 2008, 5:11 pm

[quote=""sweetpotatoboy""] It'll never be a definitive Arthurian retelling - but then I don't think it's trying to be that, just an entertaining Saturday evening show.[/quote]

It was definitely entertaining. I'd probably love it if I was 10. :D

I wondered though if the production team was the same as of Robin Hood. It had all the hallmarks.

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Sun September 21st, 2008, 5:40 pm

Sweet Potato Boy, did you just call Robin Hood 'plodding'? Shame on you! It was one of the funniest things on telly.
If Merlin s anything like it I'll take a look.. and hopefully it won't be too long 'til Team Robin comes back to our screens
Last edited by Perdita on Sun September 21st, 2008, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Sun September 21st, 2008, 8:12 pm

[quote=""Perdita""]Sweet Potato Boy, did you just call Robin Hood 'plodding'? Shame on you! It was one of the funniest things on telly.
[/quote]

'Fraid so. I gave up on it after about 4 or 5 episodes of the first series when it dawned on me I wasn't in the slightest interested in any of the characters or believed in them. But each to their own. Would be a boring world etc...!

Mara
Scribbler

Post by Mara » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 9:55 am

[quote=""Perdita""]Sweet Potato Boy, did you just call Robin Hood 'plodding'? Shame on you! It was one of the funniest things on telly.
If Merlin s anything like it I'll take a look.. and hopefully it won't be too long 'til Team Robin comes back to our screens[/quote]

I think Merlin's even funnier. A more modern take than Robin. But I'm not sure when Robin will be back as Merlin's a 13-part series and with 'Strictly...' on before it, I don't think there's a slot until Merlin's finished.

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 4:18 pm

[quote=""Mara""]I think Merlin's even funnier. A more modern take than Robin. But I'm not sure when Robin will be back as Merlin's a 13-part series and with 'Strictly...' on before it, I don't think there's a slot until Merlin's finished.[/quote]

I heard that Robin's back sometime in the new year so if Merlin's on for 13 weeks that works out right. :) Is Merlin funnier than Robin?

Mara
Scribbler

Post by Mara » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 4:41 pm

[quote=""Perdita""]I heard that Robin's back sometime in the new year so if Merlin's on for 13 weeks that works out right. :) Is Merlin funnier than Robin?[/quote]

I think so. It's aimed at a kids/young teenage audience, the language reflects this, as do the habits of the characters. Nothing in there to take seriously at all. Quite funny! Give it a try! ;)

Perdita
Reader

Post by Perdita » Mon September 22nd, 2008, 5:03 pm

It sounds really good, I'll have a look!

Eigon
Reader

Post by Eigon » Tue September 23rd, 2008, 8:52 pm

There are various plus points for me - Richard Wilson as the Court Physician, Anthony Head (Giles from Buffy) as King Uther - and Gwen from Torchwood as Lady Helen/wicked witch.
Once upon a time, young Arthur would have been played by Robert Addie (Gisborne in the 1980s Robin of Sherwood) I think - he's got that same sort of arrogance.
It's not the Matter of Britain - more like a 1950s Hollywood version of the legend, but then I love 1950s Hollywood movies.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Longstone" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Sat September 27th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Just watched this for the first time, missed last week's but quite enjoyed tonight's prog, although it struck me as being more like Harry Potter than Merlin, Arthur etc. But it's not a bad romp for Saturday evenings!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”