Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"News of the World" gone!

annis
Bibliomaniac

"News of the World" gone!

Post by annis » Thu July 7th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Taking what has been called "the nuclear option", Rupert Murdoch shocks the media world by wiping UK newspaper giant The News of the World from the face of the earth. A major preemptive strike! Of course it doesn't do anything to quash our awareness that other newspapers have used the same dirty tactics in search of a scoop, and the editorial silence from many other papers on the subject of the NOTW hacking scandal provides a confirmation of sorts.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/525 ... -shut-down
Last edited by annis on Thu July 7th, 2011, 7:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu July 7th, 2011, 9:08 pm

This is the best news I have heard in a long time. If only it could happen to the Mail as well.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Thu July 7th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Wow, drastic action. But the reputational damage has been immense and likely irremediable. With advertisers pulling out en masse and the rest of the Murdoch empire to salvage, it's a move that makes sense. But no one would have seen this coming.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri July 8th, 2011, 8:48 am

Good riddance!
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri July 8th, 2011, 8:52 am

Great in some ways but not for the innocent employees who weren't involved in the hoo haa - they will all lose their jobs.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Fri July 8th, 2011, 6:08 pm

And now there is just a vague chance that it could scupper News International's chance of swallowing up the rest of BSkyB. Well, enough chance just to give me hope.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri July 8th, 2011, 6:29 pm

I despise the Murdoch media model, which in my opinion has been instrumental in scuppering genuine investigative journalism. Not a bit sorry to see the Murdoch empire take a hit, though as Vanessa says, it's hard on NOTW employees to be tossed out into a recessionary job market with no warning.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Fri July 8th, 2011, 7:13 pm

Yes it's a shame for the people who weren't involved with the paper at that time. there is talk of there being a Sunday edition of the Sun, so maybe some of them will get jobs there.
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston.

SGM
Compulsive Reader

NOTW and RIII and Kevin Spacey - what more can you ask?

Post by SGM » Tue July 12th, 2011, 7:13 pm

Return to “Chat”