Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Eleanor of Aquitaine and the brother that never was

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Eleanor of Aquitaine and the brother that never was

Post by EC2 » Wed July 6th, 2011, 6:29 pm

I've just put up a blog post (involves a slight rant) about some investigating I did the other week in the course of my research. Thought it might be of interest. http://livingthehistoryelizabethchadwic ... -that.html
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed July 6th, 2011, 9:45 pm

I found it interesting. Thanks for sharing, EC.

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Thu July 7th, 2011, 1:42 pm

Thanks again for posting EC, definitely food for thought! I'd always had the impression that Eleanor and her sister were the only surviving children of their father, so that's interesting. Also, it shows how you shouldn't take everything you read in non-fiction as verified fact :)

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Thu July 7th, 2011, 3:59 pm

The description by the (author? scholar?) of Eleanor as being curvaceous and not running to fat even in her old age made me laugh; fantasy indeed! Why didn't he just go further and say that she had long, thick eyelashes and a deep, husky voice. I'm sure that's all documented in the chronicles somewhere...... :p

As for reading those pipe rolls, I don't know how you do it! Just looking at the Latin in the very old print made my eyes glaze over. I'm sure there must be a knack to it.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Fri July 8th, 2011, 3:25 am

Thanks for sharing--I find Eleanor endlessly interesting.

And props to you for committing yourself to such historical accuracy. Although I also appreciate the entertainment value of work more on the fiction/fantasy side of HF, I love knowing that when I read your books, it is so much more like time traveling--that your version will be as close as possible to the truth.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue July 12th, 2011, 11:43 am

Thanks all for your comments.
Since that first post, commenter Danielle has come across more pipe roll evidence securely linking 'brother' Joscelin to Adeliza of Louvain via the holding of Petworth in Sussex, so it's now rock solid. The Queen's brother Joscelin is not actually Eleanor's brother as cited by such as Alison Weir, using English Pipe Roll reference, but in actual fact, his kinship is to Adeliza of Louvain, queen of Henry I.
The other cited brother, William, however, hales from Poitiers, so there may be a blood tie there, although there's more research needed on that. Until the records say 'The brother of Queen Eleanor' I'm treading very cautiously! :)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Questions and Research”