Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

A Kindle Question

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
aceuggy
Scribbler

A Kindle Question

Post by aceuggy » Mon July 4th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Apologies if this has been answered previously, but it's easier to ask a direct question here than do a search and trawl through all the posts there! I will be receiving a Kindle for my Birthday, but which one will suit best? I will use it purely to download and store books and only download from my desk top at home. I have Broadband, but not wireless. As I understand it I can download from my computer via a usb cable direct to the Kindle, so do I need the more expensive version with the wireless and 3G facility etc or can I just use the basic version?

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Mon July 4th, 2011, 1:56 pm

As you don't have Wifi at home, buying the more expensive wireless+3G version would enable you to buy books direct from your Kindle and receive them wirelessly, rather than having to rely on your PC to purchase them and then transfer them via USB. (Provided of course you have a decent 3G signal where you live, though by my experience you don't need a particularly strong signal).

The 3G version also enables you to shop etc. when you're on the move. I also found the web browser very handy when I was travelling and wanted to check emails etc. (It is very basic but, when abroad, it's a much better option than having to pay expensive roaming charges on my phone)

However, if you know that you're not bothered about using like that on the go and are happy just to do your shopping at home and just use it for reading it when travelling, then the standard wifi-only version should suit you if you don't mind using the USB cable each time you want to add a book to your Kindle.

That said, you may well find plenty of public places with free WiFi when you're out and about, so you can wait till you're there to download books you've purchased. Just search for wireless connections whenever you're in a station or café etc.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon July 4th, 2011, 2:10 pm

I have the Wi-Fi version. I really haven't found it limiting. I can stock up on books at home before I leave on a trip (but I do have wireless at home), or I can download some at a place with a wireless connection.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon July 4th, 2011, 8:30 pm

[quote=""aceuggy""]I have Broadband, but not wireless. As I understand it I can download from my computer via a usb cable direct to the Kindle, [/quote]

You can but personally, I would find it a bit of a pain compared to the convenience of downloading it directly to my Kindle within seconds. It will also mean you won't be able to benefit from any of the syncing features. Your Kindle won't be able to upload data like your highlights and notes to be accessed at kindle.amazon.com - here's my profile as an example but you can pick and choose what is public so you can keep it all private, if you want: https://kindle.amazon.com/profile/Robin/90184

It also won't be able to upload your furthest read page or bookmarks so if you have any other devices you want to read on (Kindle for PC/Mac, smartphones, tablets, etc), it won't automatically jump to your last spot from your Kindle - you'll have to remember the page/location you were on and manual enter it. Not a concern if you don't have/read on any of these other devices but I still think it would be limiting to not have internet access on your Kindle at all unless you find a free wifi spot. I have the wifi-only myself but I have wifi at home so it works for me - if I didn't have wifi at home, I'd spend the extra money and get 3G.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Mon July 4th, 2011, 9:39 pm

I bought my kindle specifically for travel, so I got the 3G kind. It was worth it just during the trip.

As for the rest, I'm usually near my desktop computer, so all those 3G extras aren't normally used. But it is certainly nice to have them on the road!

So you should ask yourself how often you are away from your desktop or laptop/wifi connection when making the decision.

G. Alvin Simons
Reader

I Had the Same Question

Post by G. Alvin Simons » Mon July 4th, 2011, 11:17 pm

When I bought my new Kindle. My answer was easy. When I checked the availablity of 3G in my area, I discovered that I couldn't receive it. You might make this check, too, & see if it answers your question.
Having said that, I have no problem using either my home computer & a USB cable or downloading over the free Wifi. The Wifi is very fast. I'm happy with the lower priced Kindle.
I hope that this helps & enjoy your Kindle,
Alvin

aceuggy
Scribbler

Post by aceuggy » Tue July 5th, 2011, 9:00 am

Hmmmm, thanks everyone for your help and advice. It would appear that you pays your money and takes your choice, but as I won't be paying any money, it's a Birthday gift from my Mother-In-Law and she's prepared to pay for the more expensive version, it would be churlish not to go for that I guess. I doubt I will use the 3G and WiFi much, but would be handy to have it all the same. Sorted, and thanks again. :D

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue July 5th, 2011, 9:03 am

Well, if it's a pressie from your mother-in-law, I would leave it to her discretion. Mine'sthe 3G one and I think it's brilliant - I got it for Christmas from my husband. He did some research on all the ebooks and decided the 3G Kindle was the best for the money. So that's what I got.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Nickie
Scribbler

Post by Nickie » Tue July 5th, 2011, 9:34 am

I also have a Kindle, and use the 3G version. It's not all that expensive, especially as the euro is doing great against the dollar. As everything is very expensive in Belgium, we don't care to pay 150,00 € for something. We think that's cheap.
I find it easy to shop and download the books immediately on my Kindle, wherever I am. I've bought books while in the US, or in Switzerland.... high up in the mountains.
I just love the Kindle and for me printed books have to move out (I'm donating them to friends and libraries).
Always welcome to my site: http://www.nickiefleming.com

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”